Our Gang 2018

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
Here we go again, New Year no change other than the 8 replaces 7.

all ponies well, the field now resembles a lake in a places - much fun when it freezes - the entrance gate area is completely flooded so getting ponies out is not worth it, can't work on the schooling paddock as its designated wetland status is back on - mud is now the order of the day ..... this is the worst winter we have had for a few years for the wet- spoilt last year.

We have decided to make some changes and open up a larger area we can mark out with dressage markers for when Gem can be brought back into work, with a separate area for poles, cones and small jumps to give her something to think about and expand her education, hopefully by that time her Asbo has ended.

Ah well - onwards and upwards!

daughter just rang, she is on feed duties in a morning and was met by Tess at one gate and the boys in their field, no sign of Gem & Nuts - so fed who she could then started the trudge to the top of the 3 acres field to suddenly hear the thundering of hooves as gem appeared over the top and Nuts coming as fast as she could after her, obviously she caught both of them napping this morning - but did nothing for her heart!

All okay but would appear Gem & Nuts are now best of friends and Tess is enjoying relative peace of mind having her mates with her but not been bothered by the youngster antics of Gem.

I did have words with them all with regards to the fact that they are now officially all a year older and that Gem should take extra care of her elderly field mates - maybe they do understand what we say, either way long may it last - at 28 being hurried along by Gem is not Tess's idea of fun, at 24 Nuts does not have the health problems Tess has so the extra play attention of Gem is not a biggy and she is no slouch in the run around stakes being able to turn quicker on the spot than Gem - one plus being tiny!

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
Farrier booked for sunday , all 5 of them now due/overdue thanks to the weather conditions, boys will have to be done even if ground is hard they have gone over 2 weeks, no problems thank goodness thus far.
We had high winds yesterday resulting in 5 scatty ponies, quieter today but colder and frost due to reappear - OH has rung to say they are shooting up near the fields - not our YO as they give us shoot dates, so other landowner - hopefully they are all okay when daughter feeds up tonight but have warned her to check them over, hopefully they will be fine, we have had 2 shoots that where planned which we were warned about and another 4 on land further up so far this season, another 4 we know about over next month! They are better out than in though as they can get up to top corners out of the way of the beaters if they want.

No problems from the shoot, Gem appears to have taken the lead from the others and is not bothered at all now.
Had Farrier on Sunday, all five trimmed, all five behaved themselves , Gem stood and watched the boys being trimmed and she only fidgeted once on her turn, farrier was firm but fair with her and she was perfect after that, she then stood and watched Tess & Gem having theirs taking it all in, its good that they are all quiet now makes it easier all round when done in the field. No Problems to report infact farrier commented on how good they were all looking, I had been a little worried about the changeable conditions and the amount of Mud they have been stood in, only thing now is that its hard frost again in morning, heres hoping no bruised feet following trim for the boys. He did say Acorn had evidence of an old abscess on front toe but it had obviously sorted it self out and we had no external signs of any issues with him. that's it till February for feet hopefully.

next Is Vet towards end of month for Gems boosters, she will be checking Tess over for repeat prescriptions at same time.,we are really pleased with how she is coping at the moment, age is but a number!

Yay, the ice has gone, yuk, the mud Is back, never bloody happy are we.

Shoot today so hopefully all okay, no reason why they shouldn't be, at least if they run around its soft ground so no bruised feet :) every cloud and all that.

Only a couple more weeks of shooting season! It's good that they get used to it though. Ours never bothered and we were surrounded by big shoots where we used to live.

Only a couple more weeks of shooting season! It's good that they get used to it though. Ours never bothered and we were surrounded by big shoots where we used to live.

the only one bothered this year was Gem for the first shoot, she is much better now, we get around 3 a week, so approx. another 6 to 9 to go! the other 4 are used to it so have settled her down.

Sunday 1.jpg Well a very strange weekend weather wise, the ground was rock hard and Charlie in particular struggled with the ground, its thawing now thank goodness, so that will help this feet, however we will be back to mud and the glories that brings.

I have set myself my usual challenge of a photo of each of them every month of the year, so far I have failed on every attempt, so I have started as I mean to go on

January Pic's

Gem Sunday.jpg Sunday  girls.jpg

Well we are now back to Mud, lovely:)

Gem had her final injection today so that's it till December when she will be brought in line with the boys and Nuts. she was a very good girl for the Vet.

Tess had her check up during the visit for Gem, The Vet was more than pleased with her, good weight and much improved COPD wise from his last visit so the management is working, to keep doing what we are doing - he is amazed how well she is considering her ailments and age, so that's her prescriptions covered for another 6 months.

The boys and Nuts are fine .

I managed to sort some more of the electric fencing in the summer fields, almost ready now for when they are needed.

hadn't realised I hadn't updated my diary, as it happens not too much to report, the weather had been sh*te so we have gone through various stages of Wetlands and ice parks , some Sun, really cold and plenty of Wind, worse we have had for a few years.

Ponies are all coping well, Gem has trashed yet another rug, she is on her final warning now, if she gets the last remaining front buckle off she is going Naked!
Acorn and Nuts haven't had a rug on all winter despite the conditions, we have the lightweights ready incase they need them once the big shed starts and the weather remains wet and windy that is when they usually feel it we will see.

Charlie had his feet balanced last weekend, Acorns checked but didn't need doing - Farrier is more than pleased with them both. The others go longer so will be checked in 4 weeks when he comes again.

I need to get some February Photos so hopeful this weekend as the weather is set to be dry and 8 degrees which means my fingers should work on the camera.

What a difference a few days make, Nuts had a near disaster this morning thanks to being frozen to floor by a huge ice ball , free now but its going to be a long day for me at work until I can get up to her tonight and check her over and moved to better ground. all the others are fine.

We are now back to Wetland status, boggy is the best way to describe most of the grazing, ponies are all happy enough. Nuts, Acorn and Gem are rugless , Charlie and Tess just have their lightweight rainsheets on. They had the Farrier on Sunday , all but Charlie trimmed, he didn't need it, unheard of in Acorn since his Lammi years ago, he has gone 9 weeks inbetween a trim, this is the first time he has lived out 24/7 since then and farrier is really happy with his feet, we have decided that the constant moving around, minimum feed and being allowed to get on with it is the reason for the improvement generally in him, we have had no mobility issues I am sure in part to this out 24/7, in part due to his session with the Mctimony Chiro before Winter came on, really looking forward to working with him again as soon as the weather and paddocks permit :)

Gem has dropped a little weight from Rug being off and feed cut down, she can stand it, again she needs the work but we don't have the facilities to start yet. Wish this bloody rain would stop and the fields dry out!

Bloody mini beast frof the east is currently letting its presence be known. Ponies and humans not happy just hope that this weekend is the last of it

Well Mini B has been and gone thank F88K! yesterday was the worst, all ponies had iceballs the size of tennis balls on feathers and Tails, trying to tease the worst out in gale force Siberian winds not funny ..... Shetties up to their bellies in snow in places thanks to the drifting snow - today Sun in out snow in melting, still cold but the wind has dropped somewhat onwards and upwards..............

March photos gem and Charlie get a walk out. Nuts hides up the field and acorn plays dead as his avoidance method of choice I until Charlie comes back and foils his ruse. Tess eats quite happy in the knowledge that she is retired.

Attachments

• 20180325_111424.jpg
    20180325_111424.jpg
    798.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180325_111412.jpg
    20180325_111412.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 2
newrider.com