Our first attempt at Prelim...hmmmmm!

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
so the odds were against us! LOL! my instructor thought i had picked a hard test for our first one (i agree, it wasnt meant to be our first one, but ah well!). It wasnt a very forgiving test in the canter department tbh - start at a specific letter (rather than between letters), do a 20m circle and full loop then ending up cantering across the diagonal....

cons - i went wrong!!! oops! last canter literally towards the end, i turned across the diagonal from the wrong corner! oops! I was terribly nervous and just went blank (even with a caller!)

pros - Moet was a gem, no bucking, no real issues getting into canter last night either (granted we were not balanced and she was a bit speedy)

soooo needless to say we came 4th (out of 4! LOL) - but we got a lovely rossette :) scored 55%, which tbh i am over the moon about as i wanted over 50%, and with the fact of going wrong etc, i am pretty happy :)

ooo on another note though i came first in the walk and trot class :) they were both really small classes - 3 in W&T, 4 in Prelim. It was the first dressage held at the specific venue, so hopefully it will get busier in future :)

photos will be posted later!

You went wrong... even with a caller??? :giggle:

Hats off to you for even entering.... I panic at just the thought of competing :redface: In my limited experience, that doesn't sound like a bad score at all, so don't be so hard on yourself!!!

Where were you, by the way?

Looking forward to the pics.... I LOVE Moet :inlove:

I fear I would go blank eve with a caller too! (Am the sort who even when somebody spells their name for me I still write it down wrong!lol)
You are brave having a go anyways!!!!

Domane - we went to Brookfields Equestrian which is just off Junction 1 of the M54. There are loads and loads of shows to do around here, you need to get you and Jack out and about :)

here are the pics!

DSCN0984.jpg

DSCN0991.jpg

DSCN1026-3.jpg

DSCN1026-1.jpg

DSCN1026-2.jpg

i still cannot believe we managed to canter! the comments were that her canter was flat, unbalanced, speedy and hollow (which is 100% correct) BUT i was just thrilled that we actually got canters :)

Last edited:
Brilliant plan for me and Jack... only one flaw.... he's TERRIFIED of loading :cry: Got LOTS of work to do there.... once the trailer is finished (although there will be a HUGE delay in finishing it now... something large and orange is arriving at the end of the month instead :wink:) we will get Albi out and about for some in-hand stuff... deffo before the season is over...

Where/how do you find all your places to go? Riding Diary? Equine Tourism?

mostly find out through my horsey friends lol!

ummm if you are looking for local in-hand showing then there's:

Valley View at Telford
East Shropshire at Rudge
Shropshire horse shows at Netley Hall, Shrewsbury

theres prob more but i cant think of them now!

ooooo something large and orange?!!?!?!?!? when will we get more info? or have i missed the thread?

I'm not tempting fate by mentioning it yet, Julie..... but I will hopefully have some BIG news a fortnight today.....:wavespin:

Yay go Julie & Moet! :biggrin:

Ooo wish i found out abit these little shows, would of been perfect for me & finn to do with only a small amount of competitors (Less people to be embarrassed infront of :giggle:)

we have this week attempted our second prelim :)

didnt go wrong this time, although made silly little mistakes...but thats ok :) but immensely pleased with getting the correct canter on the left lead as we struggle with that, and that Moet was well behaved :)

scored 59%, so getting better :) ooo and didn't come last :) here's a vid:

i know people will watch it and think how shocking we are, but for those who do not realise how lacking in confidence i used to be then :tongue: to you! haha!

and to those people thinking they cant possibly attempt a dressage test - think again!! if we can do it then you can too! we have a long way to go to learn to be better, but i am excited about learning and progressing :)

newrider.com