Ouch

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Took Amber xc. She was amazing if a little exuberant. RI told me to jump 90s to try and slow her down as she'd respect them more but she still flew over everything. Jumped a terrifying fence called the broken bridge. Huge drop and a fence I never dreamed I'd tackle. Anyway she jumped clear so to finish off RI told me to loop back and jump a metre fence. Stirrup leather snapped at the top of the jump. The SECOND time thats happened to me. Not stitching failing but just a anapped leather. Bugger. It was a long way down. Hit my head and got tangled up in her hooves too. Managed to load her and drive home before realising I was in agony and felt sick. Went to minor injuries who saw a hoof shaped bruise right over my lumbar spine. Then I was sick. So they sent me to A&E where I still am. Was wearing my brand new racesafe too! ... Great day with a rubbish ending.

OMG - being sick after a head injury is not good. Hang in there and don't leave until they've done all their necessary checks and scans. Hope to goodness you're ok xx

Oh no, yes being sick after head injury isn't good at all, hope you soon start to feel better.

Oh goodness! Well it sounds like you do have concussion to start with!! Very unlucky freak incident.... and you've had it twice!! :eek: Hope you are OK.

Now waiting with baited breath for an update....

Im ok thanks. CT scan clear. Xrayed my back too as it was so swollen but nothing broken.
Home 4am! Still Im ok which is the main thing. Amber was amazing. She didn't put a hoof wrong. So bold. Hope my confidence is not too shaken. I think knowing it was kit failure not horse behaviour/ rider error will help. That's what I keep telling myself anyway....

Ouch indeed! Rest up, and hope you feel better soon. I got knocked out in a fall a couple of months ago, spent the entirr next week laid up in bed feeling like utter crap... concussion is no fun, so be kind to yourself & don't rush anything!

Brilliant @KP nut she looks fab, love your safety position. She's so big she makes that drop look a lot smaller than it is!

What awful luck, I've never heard of that happening will be checking my leathers once I get a new horse. Are you using the same brand that snapped before? Glad you're ok, take it steady for the next few days.

I didn't think it was. They were Windsors this time which I naively assumed meant English leather. As if names tell you that! Doh. But they had plenty of 5 star reviews on Amazon. Anyway English Leather quality leathers to be bought asap.

I was leaninf back SO far lol. XC position 5 according to Maddy Moffet. Ie the 'oh shit' position.

I didn't think it was. They were Windsors this time which I naively assumed meant English leather. As if names tell you that! Doh. But they had plenty of 5 star reviews on Amazon. Anyway English Leather quality leathers to be bought asap.

I was leaninf back SO far lol. XC position 5 according to Maddy Moffet. Ie the 'oh shit' position.

Won't be buying any of those then!

You look really good together, I think Amber will open a lot of new doors for you, affiliated etc.The main thing is you look like you're having fun which is what it's all about and making me slightly envious as I love broken bridges and have nothing to ride at the moment, well nothing to take cross country anyway.

Reactions: KP nut
I am so sorry to hear about your accident, what rotten luck to have ANOTHER leather break on you and right when you need it most. That must have been a horrid fall, I'm so glad that you're ok. You'd better be eating arnica tabs like sweeties for a while!

XC position 5 according to Maddy Moffet. Ie the 'oh shit' position.
I have to say that Amber looks happier over that jump than you do! ;)

Ouchy but also wow what a great photo and she clearly loves it. I hope you are ok if a little sore

She does love it! Her enthusiasm can be a bit scary but on the other hand you know she is never going to stop which is very reassuring. One rider at the clinic fell 3 times, each time because of slamming brakes on at the last minute.

Ouch indeed! :eek: only had a leather break on me once - not on my saddle or my horse, but I do confess to spending quite a bit of money on leathers back in the day when I did more serious riding. I have to say coming off mid jump on that size fence is rather a long way down, whatever the reason you came off, hope you are soon recovered. :oops:

I stupidly assumed there would be some industry standard for any safety critical kit like leathers and that first duff pair was just an unfortunate factory error that made it weaker than it should be. I check stitching regularly but assumed the actual leather would always hold up. Sadly not. I only bought them in June!

newrider.com