Ouch!

LindaAd

Feb 20, 2000
Dorset, UK
Visit site
Fell off Hebe yesterday - a very windy day, we were having a lesson, and something in the hedge spooked her and she did one of those huge sideways jump + twist ... Should have seen it coming; she did almost the same spook in the last lesson, but I managed to stay on - she's only ever done it once before, when a deer jumped out of a hedge under her nose, and she didn't unstick me that time either.

Still, thought I'd share it, just to reassure people that you don't necessarily break when you come off, even if you do happen to be around 65 .. I'm just a bit bruised. I think it helps if you're fairly well padded, though:wink:

I climbed on again, and we spent the rest of the lesson doing leg-yield and shoulder-in, so we were both kept too busy to worry about ghosts in the hedge.

Still in the bruising club!!!

Glad to here it wasn't anything serious! Hope you enjoyed your lesson!!!

Oh, I came so close yesterday in my lesson. He'd just been really good (trotting steadily on a nice circle in a nice shape is as far as we have got) and I had his reins loose while I talked to my RI and whoomph! Something got him! I was more than halfway off and only his nice strong mane saved me.

Hope you are not too bruised. Take lots of arnica! And well done you for carrying on regardless :smile:

I just find it takes me days to recover:eek:. I tend to lie there totally splatted and I seize up overnight! And I'm a mere baby at 44:wink:

Well done for getting back up and on and keeping going!:D

I am sorry you fell Linda - I agree a well padded bottom saves one a lot. Many of my falls were when I was over 65.
And I think getting back on straight away is good, Linda- last time I didnt because the mare galloped away very fast and far. Psychologicallly that was much harder.
But it does depend which bit of you gets jarred. The aches tend to hang around for ever.

Thanks for all the replies, and the encouragement.

Kevin, I think I bounce pretty well really; I remember the scary feeling of falling when I was a child, and the ground seemed to whizz up to meet you. Now I generally manage to relax before I hit the ground, so I don't get winded.

I know what you mean, Skippys Mum; I had one fall that affected me like that, also in a lesson, off my daughter's horse, a few years ago. I was so surprised I just lay on the ground and groaned, and my instructor had to bully me to get me on again. No serious damage, just a sprained shoulder, but I totally lost my nerve and couldn't ride again for two years .. And it took longer before I could get on to a chestnut mare again.

Skib, I never thought of you as someone with a well-padded bottom! It is very discouraging when you're left hurt and without a horse! Hebe did that to me on one of our first rides out; she managed to gallop home, leaving me with the saddle ...

Ouchy indeed!!!!!!!!! Do hope you are ok!!!!! Are you really 65ish????!!!!!! I thought you were in your 30's!!!!?! WEll done getting back on too!

It does comfort me Linda to know you went 2 years without riding - I mean not nice for you but for me. I did go on riding after my crash, but only in the school. Then suddenly this summer just felt like hacking again. Eighteen months on, so not quite your two years.

As for the riders' bottom - yes, it is inherited because one of my daughters has it too. It makes buying clothes impossible but am sure it is why I sit so comfy on a horse. I've actually been scared to let my weight drop much below what it was when I had my first riding lesson, in case that exposes my old bones.

May be the spook in the school lesson is wind or time of year? OH had it happen in canter this week though he didnt fall off.

Ouchy indeed!!!!!!!!! Do hope you are ok!!!!! Are you really 65ish????!!!!!! I thought you were in your 30's!!!!?! WEll done getting back on too!

Thanks for that, Trewsers - I'll have to be brave enough to post a pic one day (well, there's one in my avatar now, but it's small enough not to matter).

Yes, I'm fine - not even bruised really. I was a bit worried; I thought my 'safe place' had become dangerous, but I rode her in the field again today (the first dry day since Tuesday) and there were no problems.

Last edited:
It does comfort me Linda to know you went 2 years without riding - I mean not nice for you but for me. I did go on riding after my crash, but only in the school. Then suddenly this summer just felt like hacking again. Eighteen months on, so not quite your two years.

As for the riders' bottom - yes, it is inherited because one of my daughters has it too. It makes buying clothes impossible but am sure it is why I sit so comfy on a horse. I've actually been scared to let my weight drop much below what it was when I had my first riding lesson, in case that exposes my old bones.

May be the spook in the school lesson is wind or time of year? OH had it happen in canter this week though he didnt fall off.

Oh yes - I thought I'd given up riding for good - it was after Barney went lame and I only had my daughter's stroppy Ginny to ride, and I completely lost my nerve. I think it took me longer than two years to work out what had gone wrong .. I think that NR New Forest ride we did - the one you came on - was probably my first step towards riding again. Those horses are great confidence-builders.

As for you bum, well, you certainly keep it well hidden! You're very wise to try not to lose weight; I wish I had to try a bit harder ...

Just wanted to say yes!! LindaAd, to your description of the scary feeling of falling off as a child, with the ground rushing up to meet you!! I remember it well as it still felt the same when it last happened to me about 4 years ago (i am 44). I must try and perfect the relaxed thing the next time it happens...

Hope you have fully recovered now:smile:

I have only been riding for a few months and (thankfully) haven't fallen off yet! I just hope I show the same courage and commitment as you do when it happens, and just jump straight back on! I am not yet 40 though, so should hopefully still have a little bounce left in me :dance:

LindaAd,am not too sure that a big behind helps much mine seems to drag me down faster these days ,oh & I too am rushing towards 65 ( am sure someone has been altering time when I wasn't looking :biggrin:).

newrider.com