OUCH! (My poor friend!)

Happy Hacker 01

Jul 8, 2009
Went out for a long hack this morning with 2 friends. One was Shadow's old owner on her new horse.

We were having a fast canter along a narrow track, my friend who I stable with was leading, I was in the middle and friend on new horse was at the back.

Unfortunately her horse got a bit close to Shads and he kicked out with both hind legs. He missed the horse but got my friend in the knee!! :eek:

She was in a lot of pain and in shock. Fortunately someone was able to come and collect her horse in their horsebox and then take her up to A & E. She has to have stitches and an X-ray.

I of course felt terrible about it! He's not a known kicker which she knows from having owned him previously. Her horse was getting very strong and she was having a job to hold him back, he also makes a very strange noise when he canters, so this may have spooked Shads a bit.

She said that perhaps he was trying to get her back for 'dumping' him, but was actually relieved that he got her instead of her horse. Poor thing! :frown:

Fingers crossed that there's nothing broken or fractured...

Oh no. That sounds painful. I hope she is ok and has a speedy recovery.

I know you must feel really awful about it but at least she would know herself that his behaviour was out of character.

My horse did some thing similar, out of character.. there is a black horse in his field, he doesn't get on well with... out riding recently, I met up with a friend on a similar coloured horse..
He threaten him 3 times with a kick..... he must have thought it was the unfriendly bully..........................
I hope your friend is ok, and not too seriously hurt x

newrider.com