Ouch!!! Horses and Winter

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
I think being involved with Horses is so much more dangerous in the Winter.

They are 'hungry', 'wet', 'wanting to come in' and you need to be more
'AWARE'.

Tonight my two had, once again, managed to 'get out' of their fenced
off Winter Paddock and on my arrival were pretty desperate to get back in, knowing they were going to be fed etc. I left them to it quite honestly whilst doing haynets, sweeping up etc., thinking that if they could get out, they
could get back. I could see where the posts were down, electric fencing on
the floor, so they could easily get back. I HAD turned the fencing OFF:)

NO, they are too 'thick' quite honestly and were pacing, running up and down, so eventually I went over, held the fencing down and over came
Bertie with Sioned in hot pursuit:p HOWEVER, they then decided to have
a 'hissy fit' with each other, kicking out etc., and I had to move, pretty
quickly to get out of the way.................RESULT, twisting my leg in
the mud:eek:............OUCH................I can hardly put my foot to the ground
and I think, from the pain, have probably pulled something in my upper
inner thigh !!!!! GREAT..........I will be limping round the cells tonight
on my night shift....DON'T YOU JUST LOVE HORSES AND WINTER:p

You have my utmost sympathy - just had a similar sort of incident myself:rolleyes:

Putting a new vitamin tub out in a rubber tyre in the field - neds and donks realised I was delivering something tasty. All hurtled over - old biddy slips a**e over t*t in the mud trying to get out of the way.

They proceed to squabble over who gets their head in the tub first - flying legs everywhere (including mine!:rolleyes:) - back locked in its usual geriatric vice like grip. Can't stand so grabbed old chaps sturdy leg and sort of climbed up to his neck to get myself upright! Luckily he is very tolerant of my stumbling about on a regular basis - and he managed to drag himself away from the skirmish for long enough to allow me to waddle off and leave them to it!

Don't you just love the winter - don't know how I'll cope when my helpul old soldier passes on:eek:

Just off to find the painkillers......would you like one?.....

Actually yours sounds far worse than mine:eek:

I cannot put my whole foot to the floor and am on tip toe on my right
leg, its like somebody is sticking a hot poker in my thigh:eek:

Blimey I am getting OLD..........I take enough painkillers to knock an
elephant out for my neck let alone anything else.........

WHY ISN'T IT WORKING FOR MY LEG:rolleyes:

Hope you are feeling better soon:) x

Tell me about it,I am sick of winter already,and only just going into it really!!

My lad's aren't silly as a rule,and I am very wise now to 'careful management' involving anything to do with feeding time or food in general,thanks to my foodie,fatty fell:p.Is still doing my head in though just this constant mud and wet:mad:.Everything is slippery,and takes sooo much longer.Have given up trying to poo pick with the wheelbarrow,just cant seem to get it through the mud and be able to stay upright and keep my wellies on!!

Roll on summer,then we will be moaning about flies and the heat lol:D

Hope both of you ladies feel better soon,and don't have anymore 'muddy mishaps':)

As a rule my three aren't silly, but tonight my TB decided he HAD to come in at a canter - no other pace would suffice. Problem was, he was a foot behind me trailing on his leadrope when he decided to do so (stupid I know! but I was leading two and Alf was striding in so Rocky just tails along behind). Nearly knocked me over, ended up with them both spun round pointing different directions!
Won't be doing that again!

I often think about hibernating for the winter.

Fortunately mine are on full livery although I do pop up early to muck out on occasioan. I think its the mud that gets me. The rain I can handle, the muck I detest!!

Hope your injuries all heal up OK

Jen
x

One look at my two tonight, and the word "WE ARE STARVING!" came to mind:eek: My Big 'un looking at me with his ears erect, right at the fence, and followed me all the way to the gate, with my youngster behind him, in a submissive posture. If I don't get his head collar on straight away, he turns to look at my youngster with his ears back, as though to say "erm excuse me, I'm first!"
Lucky for me, I don't get two horses trying to get through the gate!
9 out of 10 times, I'll have this, he has to be first, part of the pecking order. Tonight, my youngster got pulled around by his neck cover by another horse, literally! All he wanted was to come in for his tea.... and this is the youngster accused of being a bully (previous thread)! The partner in crime (there was two involved) was the "victim" (previous thread). Pity the facts arn't straight, as from where I was looking, my youngster's rising 2 in jan, although a late foal, more 18 months, and he's not yet "fully developed", he's still learning, pretty much copying what the other horses are doing:rolleyes: and the owners of this other horse have only seen Little legs getting his own back:rolleyes:

I got up there late tonight and had decided on route to open up top of field, as although bottom isn't too bad mud wise it is now saturated.
I gave them their buckets and made my way up, managed to get four posts and tape moved before they had finished buckets and came to investigate.
I stood back expecting them to go hooning off, no heads down, stuffing themselves.
Quite pleased with myself as all done by torch light.:)

It definitely does make 'em silly - even if they're normally ok! Atm our pair are only in the sandschool all day with nets tied up - and thats bad enough for hoolyism! Soon as they see me pull up they stand like two rescue cases, staring balefully at me. If I'm not sharp off the mark and bring them in quickly or fill their nets, they stamp about and do all manner of daft stuff!! Joe quivers with rage if you leave him out in the rain for too long - he really can do you an injury. He has stood on OH's feet so much, he's now seen sense and bought steel toe cap muckers...........

newrider.com