Ordering my new approved riding hat...ouch

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
I have just spent two hours looking for a new hat that meets my huge list of demands the most important being legal for BD, BSJ and RC.

I did not want a skull cap as I just don't like them. It has to be black as that is what all my BD kit is and has to have some kind of venting plus also low profile.

I finally found one I like and after some more searching got the price down to a reasonable £140 I went for a:

Charles Owen Adults Ayrbrush Riding Hat Black
Is anyone else having to go through the finical pain of being a new helmet so they can still compete etc.

Yep, taking my 2 girls for theirs this week. Thinking of maybes getting 2 skull caps as they are versatile for them ( and they like different silks)and they have a 1 55cm pas015 velvet show hat that fits them both already and will get another at some point, just not yet. I have my sj hat that needs replacing for RC/ shows and my gatehouse may need upgrading too although I doubt I will bother as it's so comfy so will still use it to hack out ect. I remember years ago when they changed the safety standards and my champion skull with burgundy lining was no longer in standard, it took a while before I managed to part with it, it was just so comfy:) x

Nope, thankfully I don't compete so will stick with my current hat until it need replacing, they are not cheap are they but if it could potentially save your life and means you can still compete it's worth every penny. :)

OP I am not sure why you dont like helmets? Presumably that is what you mean by a skull cap?

I am also pretty surprised that you need to change your hat unless it is too old to be safe. The replacement going on here is of the lower standard, cheaper hats to the old British Standard - the type that were bought for kids or used at riding schools for use by visiting riders.

Gatehouse have a link from their website to a chart which I was shown by one of their staff at Olympia. Very glad to see it on line. It will show you what old hat standards are still valid for the various equestrian activities and organisations.

http://westgateefi.s3.amazonaws.com/CMS/Hat Safety Standards 2015-16-17.pdf

Just a word about Gatehouse - I had to go into this as I wear a Gatehouse HS1. The safety standards used to be printed on a fabric label in the crown of the hat and gradually wore away over time. The new model has the standards underneath the lining, so that you need to gently lift away the edge trim and the lining to show them.

Gatehouse were slow to explain this to their retailers (I am told) so I was not told about this - but your saddler should now be able to show you. And it is also now in detail on their site. If in doubt phone Gatehouse and they will take you through it. Gatehouse website now has detailed instructions for anyone in difficulties over this and the details to send them if you are competing and need confirmation of your existing Gatehouse hat standard.

I imagine other manufacturers of high standard hats will be doing the same. Hope this is useful.

Very pleased this morning to see my gatehouse puissance is pas015, will have to get my sj hat out but dare say that needs replacing as I've had it years but only wear it to compete in:) x

@Skib I don't like the way skull caps look it really is that simple. I will not buy something I do not like the look of full stop.

As for why am I replacing mine. I have read all the information and quite simply I can not compete at BD or RC in my current UVEX it is of a very high standard but not PAS015 or SNEL as it is not a British make. The Champion website had a great piece on what can and can not be used.

As I compete every week I need one that meets the approval. I will carry in wearing my UVEX for hacking and lessons and non BD/BJS lessons etc.

I took my girls to get theirs today although realised this morning my 7 year olds just togs is pas015 but knew my 11 year olds champion euro wasn't. Ended up buying the 11 year old a champion x air pink skull and my 7 year old a CO competitor skull, would of preferred the champion for both of them but it didn't fit as well as the CO on my 7 year old. They have got some snazzy horse head silk covers and are very happy :) OBC I also dislike the look of skull caps so totally understand what you mean but find them versatile for kids and the fact you can swap silks is a bonus, I personally wouldn't buy one for myself although think I have one somewhere I bought purely for XC although I'm sure it will be void now. :)

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
OBC, I always wear a silk over my skull - so have a choice - A close fitting black velvet which looks like a peaked cap, or slouchy summer blue one that slips back at the front like you see on eventers going cross country. OH's champion comes with the second type.

I know you can put a silk on them but I just don't like them. Plus I like a vented hat as riding both boys out hacking for a couple of hours each I get hot.

Obviously when I re start the ginger one on XC then I will get one but until then while I get the choice of what I actually like to wear I will stick to the helmets that look nice (IMO) for dressage.

Ha Ha OBC - I wear my HS1 helmet however hot it is - like in Texas at mid day in summer. In the 90s F at least. May be over 100 OH says. And my bp too!

For summer riding I bought a navy Gatehouse air rider last summer as couldn't do with having a hot head, my hairs long and thick without a warm riding hat in summer. My girls have one pink and one navy gatehouse cool riders that my mum bought them as a prezzies whilst popping into a saddlery for plaiting thread:rolleyes: Apparently they were a bargain but as I said at the time expensive plaiting thread. :) xx

Meh I don't like skull caps either, with or without a cover I just don't like how they look (which is fine because they don't suit my head shape anyway). I certainly wouldn't wear one to compete in dressage!

I thought Charlotte du Jardin won in a helmet?
The stylish AYR8 leather look riding hat from Charles Owen was designed for Charlotte Dujardin! The low profile helmet that combines smart leather look side panels, a mesh centre to maxamise airflow through 12 ventilation apertures, super soft headba...
Price: £269.00

Brand: Charles Owen Product code: COAYR8L

Bought daughter Gatehouse Chelsea for dressage and a new HS1 for eventing to replace her damaged one. Everyone's head is a different shape so try on several. You will however need a skull type if wanting to go XC

Welcome back by the way!!

I was really surprised I didn't have to replace all of ours. I haven't checked all of them yet but my sons hat was still approved as still had the right safety mark plus the heart shaped thingy safety mark. His is a champion cpx300 but not hugely new

I thought you either had a skull cap head or a peaked hat head?

I like what fits :)
I was fitted for a hat and the skull fitted, so that's fine. I have competed in it as I just popped over a velvet cover. The rest of the time I have a yellow cover as it acts as part of the hi viz.
What I look like hasn't ever been an issue, I don't much care :)

Reactions: Bodshi
I thought you either had a skull cap head or a peaked hat head?

I like what fits :)
I was fitted for a hat and the skull fitted, so that's fine. I have competed in it as I just popped over a velvet cover. The rest of the time I have a yellow cover as it acts as part of the hi viz.
What I look like hasn't ever been an issue, I don't much care :)
Hi, Today my 7 year old didn't fit in a champion x air skull ( much to my disappointment) yet the CO competitor skull fit her really well so We bought that, I think it's a lot to do with manufacturer rather than style of hat. I fit gatehouse or champion hats best so tend to opt for them. x

I had better go and check my hats. They are both about 2 years old, and my daily one will need replacing soon anyway. I have a lovely show one which I rarely wear but I will be gutted if that is no longer in the safety standards!

I'm in the market for a new ventilated hat too - I've currently got a jockey skull, which I'm not the biggest fan of (aesthetically I don't like them either & being non-ventilated I do get very hot come the warmer months) but it was a last-minute replacement after a fall and it was the only one that fitted me without travelling further afield (I needed one for the next day).

I do like the look of the Gatehouse Chelsea, but I've always previously had Champion hats as they've fitted - so fingers crossed the Chelsea fits when I try it on.

Do they do it in a children's size? As so far, I've always managed to fit a children's hat - proof I possibly really am limited on ol' brain cells :p

newrider.com