Optimal amount of exercise each week?

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
I've had Ed for 3 1/2 weeks. He is in small paddock (approx 2/3 acre) with a four sided shelter. He is in a row of mini paddocks with neighbours, with the option to rest/rotate as needed. First the first time in years - he is out 24/7 on grass.

His previous owners stabled him over night in winter and brought him in for a few hours during the day, in the Summer. He has also been muzzeled at times, although he can apparently get them off!

Over the 3 1/2 weeks we are sure he has gained no weight. I have been concious to keep an eye on it and to work him quite hard.

As a guide how much work do you think he really needs on average? I have been hacking him out about 4 times per week - each ride being 4-6 miles on roads mainly (usually walk/trot). In addition to that my daughter has a 30 minute lesson in the school each week then on another evening we riding him in the school for about 40 mins between us.

However, I dont think I will be able to keep up the six rides/week all of the time - how much excersise is optimal for fitness and weight management?

Thanks.

(He is a 14.2 well built Welsh Sec D. Rising 13)

I'm on a pretty similar regime as you at the moment - and Arnie is getting quite fit. He's not "fast work" fit but he's certainly happy hacker fit and it seems to be keeping his weight in check.

In the winter, I am lucky if I can ride once or twice a week but as the grass is not growing his weight is not a problem.

I think though, this is one of these "how long is a piece of string" questions. It will vary depending on the horse, the grazing, even the weather.

All you can do with a fairly new horse is keep a close eye on it and see how it goes. If you are not going to be able to keep up that much work then you may have to alter his access to grazing somehow:)

However, I dont think I will be able to keep up the six rides/week all of the time - how much excersise is optimal for fitness and weight management?

Thanks.

(He is a 14.2 well built Welsh Sec D. Rising 13)

How fit do you WANT him to be? And how much food does he get ?

In other words, how long is a piece of string?

You could take him out for several hours each day and he would get fairly fit, if you are only walking and trotting most of the time, as I do.

You could take him out for an hour or two most days, and do interval training with him, and get him VERY fit, as I used to do when competing some years ago in endurance.

You could have him on wide-ranging sheep moorland and have him half-fit from just clambering up and down steep hills in the quest to fill his belly.

How long was that string again?

Is he on 2 thirds of an acre?, thats quite a size for one pony? especailly this time of year; I have three on quarter of an acre at a time.
I would spilt the paddock in half, and strip graze into the half thats left, moving the fencing a little a day.
Is he on any feed?
Btw the exercise routine sounds fine!

Thanks all. Let me go find that piece of string.....:D

Probably a naive question, but it's all new to me. The paddock might not be quite 2/3 it could be a half acre. Yes, he has it all to himself, but before he was put on it we had it eaten down by a couple of ponies, so tha the didnt arrive and have access to huge amounts of lush grass.

As I say, he certainly hasn't gained weight in the almost 4 weeks we've had him. My horsey expert friend is keeping an eye on that too.

The level of fitness I want him at is to handle sponsored rides (14+ miles), hacking out (my speed will increase with experience) and for my daughter to be able to take him to pony days at her riding school etc (mini jump off, gymkhana, mini XC).

I don't think I need to strip graze at the moment as the paddock is well eaten and quite dry. Also, my YO is not always keen on this approach, but the other option I have is to put another pony in with him for a while if needed (the YO has plenty - lovely little Shetlands too).

Might by a weight tape, so that I can keep a precise measure.....

newrider.com