Opinions Please

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
We are looking into buying a property with land, there's 5 acres that come with it, and we have been told we can buy more. We've got the land plan, and there are 2 areas boxed off in the middle of the land. We asked the estate agent about these and got a reply back but I'm finding it a little hard to decipher, just wondering what other peoples opinions on it are:

Reply from estate agent

The 2 parts of land boxed off have been owned by the forestry for over 100 years and no access to these sites is given but they the owners think they may even sell the land if required.

Do we think this means that we would have no access to these pieces of land if we bought the house, or the forestry have no access to these pieces of land? They are right in the middle of the land and surrounded by land that the property owns, they don't look to be fenced off at all.

I would read that as you would not have access to that because its owned by the forestry, its protected in some way.
I would check with the forestry if they would sell, but if owned for 100 years I wouldn't feel that was likely. They would have access over your land to maintain the area I should think.
We have forestry owned land around here that is fenced off though, its a protected area with no access.

Be very, very careful No Angel. I will pm you - we are in the midst of long and very expensive legal proceedings over a very similar issue. It probably wont even be resolved in our lifetime. If the forestry have the land in the middle of your property, or anywhere that they need to get to, they almost certainly DO have access at any time they want, and most lenders will not finance a sale of this type of property, regardless of what the agent or the land registry plans are saying. I would walk away rapidly, you could lose a huge amount of money as we have, and be stuck with the property for ever as it will be virtually unsaleable.:poop:

Thanks for the views :) We like the house and don't think we will be walking away without at least some further investigation into the lands :)

be very careful about their access rights, i.e. if they suddenly decide they want to take the trees down then they have more rights than the general landowner, due to their status, and you could have a logging road across your property.

or they could at some point sell it off to a third party.

you could end up with a big bill for nothing trying to sort out what the rights are, and even then that is only the opinion of one lawyer and is open to challenge in court by another one.

when we bought here, there was an issue over access rights to one of our fields as there is a gate, but it is via someone else's land, and we decided in the end to put in another gate and not use the original one, as it was too much hassle to be bothered with

also you can have access rights but if the landowner locks it and makes access difficult then enforcement of your 'rights' is very difficult and you have to go to court and it can drag on for years and costs £ooos

I had to walk away from our first flat due to the lease having clauses in it that my lawyer could not recommend that we agree to and also the lender was likely to object to. cost us a lot of money as we were at exchange by that time. given the state of lending, anything that is 'difficult' could be turned down.

Yes echo all the advice on access. We made sure our solicitor thoroughly examined the deeds - it took two months!!! Because its such a can of worms here - basically we own all the land and the road (bar two acres) but nowty neighbour assumed the road was shared. We were also dubious at one point about a piece of land that nieghbour had access rights on and it was quite a tangle to unravel.

I am sorry if my response was not what you wanted to read NA - but the courtesy of at least briefly acknowleding my pm would have been polite?

Why post asking for opinions and then rudely ignore someone taking the trouble to write you a long and detailed PRIVATE message about the very point you are querying. :rolleyes:

You have been posting on the topic of moving to Ireland for several years now, and I am not the only person actually living in Ireland to have bothered private messaging you about various queries that you have had. I understand you also totally ignored a pm they sent you, that didn't come up with a fairytale answer you were hoping for and gave you some hard facts and a reality check. :confused:

Bizarre behaviour.:unsure:

newrider.com