Opinions Please: Richardson Horsebox

Welsh_Girl

~Mañana será otro día~
Oct 13, 2007
Ireland
My current trailer is dying :( I've just had a quote for the work it needs doing and its more than its worth!!

Just so happens that the OH found a 2004 Richardson horsebox for sale at a yard today. Its a Supreme Grande I think. It has very little use and looks very tidy but I know nothing about this brand. I would love a Rice Beaufort but the funds don't stretch that far and good secondhand ones are like hens teeth.

So does anybody own one, use one or know anything about them?

I had a richardson rossette for 8 years. I really regret selling it (needed the cash as moving house). They did go through a funny phase and some need floors redoing atfter about 5 years but you could say that for most. otherall I was pleased with mine.

Richardsons used to be lightweight and flimsy, but they were taken over by Rice some years ago and the build quality improved somewhat. If I remember rightly the Supreme range was created after the takeover.

Forgot to say, main reasons I purchased one in the first place:

was lightest trailer for its height and width on the market at the time,
had a short hitch bar so actually easier to turn and reverse than any other make,
was the only one at the time with a front ramp opening onto the verge (left) and not into traffic(right side). Why on earth on load a horse straight into oncoming vehicles?
very stable to tow
very stable to manouver with horse in. I once had to unhitch mine down a hill on a v. narrow track and manually turn it round and rehitch to tow back up hill as track ended up on medival wooden bridge marked 'only suitable for pedestrians' . track was too narrow to turn car whilst hitched up to trailer. Managed this and rehitched to trailer - all with horse still inside - I aged 5 years though!:rolleyes:

Richardson

I had a richardson rossette, old ish but fully functional, sold it to buy an ifor 505 which my mare absolutely hates and sounds like she is doing aerobics in!!!! So if had the choice again would defo go for a richardson

newrider.com