Opinions on new inflatable gilets please

Old Biddy

Feb 3, 2009
wiltshire
After rather dramatic accident last year I have been looking at these but am concerned about forgetting to undo the lanyard when I dismount, I have visions of being half off and then the jacket 'exploding' and ending up in the next county! There again just can't afford to fall off again. I know they're expensive but maybe worth it?!* Anyone tried one??

My friend and her daughter have them. The daughter had it clipped onto the d ring of the saddle and fell off her horse it made a bit of a noise inflating and it inflated amazingly quickly, she seemed fully protected around the neck and torso area. She actually forgot she had it on and got a fright at the amount of pressure and how much it inflated when she fell off. It certianly did the job and both were impressed by it. I think the new canisters are about £16.00??

Hope that helps. I've concidered getting one for when i back Vinnie next year, better to be safe than sorry

Not personally but a friend's son events at high level. He reckons it really saved him from injury when he had a crashing fall with the horse. Said it was weird in that he anticipated the impact as normal and it didn't happen as he was so well-protected. Not a bruise to be seen and no soreness the next day.

He's only dismounted once by accident with it on and it just makes a hiss. Horse to his surprise didn't really react to it and it was one of the youngsters not one of the experienced horses.

He wears it all the time, even at home, very useful when one of the babies reaches for ejection lever :D

My RI had a really nasty fall at Knaptoft on her Intermediate horse and she said she didn't hurt anywhere except her head! If I had £400 I would buy one but instead I have to rely on trying not to fall off!
I think they do put alot of pressure on when they inflate though as she said she found it hard to breathe!

newrider.com