opinions on foot.

hdonna

Aug 22, 2008
bucks
Here are some pictures of Peaches front feet. She went lame back in march. Had box rest etc still lame ( no visable reason) went for xrays came back fine had nerve block sited lameness in right fore foot. Vet then said it was the poor balance of her foot long toe collapsed heel. (she was barefoot at the time) he ssaid to put shoes on her and all should be fine. he spoke to the farrier farrier came and put the shoes on in the picture (two toe clips). Of course I expectde miricles and for her to go sound but she is still lame on a right turn. Also her feet grow very slow so we have put her on top spec happy hoof.

have a look opinions please.

Left fore
001-1.jpg

002-3.jpg

Right fore
003.jpg

004.jpg

005-1.jpg

Cheers guys.

I don't know enough to offer an educated opinion, but that seems to me like a very small boxy foot though I don't know what they were like before. COuld just be that she is getting adjusted to having shorter toes etc.
Maybe someone who knows more about feet might be more help.

Hi,
Unfortunately those pics don't give much away, sorry to say. You need to take the pics of her foot on the ground from as near ground level as poss - or put the camera on the floor to take them. Pics squarely from the side & squarely front on is best. When you pic up the foot, the angle that you've taken is good, but it'd be good to see the whole foot, not just the heel. Also let the toe drop down so you can take a pic sighting down from heel to toe, so we can see depth & heel height. Oh & make sure her feet are clean & free of bedding.

Now, what I can tell from the pics.... It appears her feet have probably been 'backed up' enough. Probably a decent enough shoe job, tho you can't tell balance or anything & I don't like quarter clips & nails put too far back. Her heels are still too high & a bit forward, frogs out of commission, but if they were substantially higher, the farrier may have validly felt he couldn't take them back any further ATM & perhaps he's going to do this in installments over the next month or 2? While the heels are high, I would be using frog support pads, to make sure they get some stimulation & become strong. This will also help the contracted heels to open up.

I'm not a fan of metal shoes *generally* & not for rehabilitation. As for treating long toes & collapsed heels, this comes down to how they're trimmed & shoes don't have any further(positive) effects. Also, if the foot shape needs to be changed drastically, it generally can't be done in one hit and needs to be done over a number of frequent trims. It can get expensive, as well as further damage the foot if you need to trim & reset shoes every few weeks. Shoeing can also reduce the flexion in the hoof, especially if nails are placed too far back & quarter clips used. This can cause reduced circulation & therefore growth. hoofrehab.com will give you some more food for thought & if you would like to post some more pics, we could offer further ideas.

I would whip the shoes off again. Her heels are way too high and the back of her foot contracted. Barefoot rehab required !!

Hmm, i know this horse and she always had shoes on before you brought her.
I remember reading your posts about you going barefoot and wondered at the time if that was the right thing to do.

Anyway i hope you sort her as she is a nice girl.

Hmm, i know this horse and she always had shoes on before you brought her.
I remember reading your posts about you going barefoot and wondered at the time if that was the right thing to do.

Anyway i hope you sort her as she is a nice girl.

I would be surprised if going barefoot would cause a horse to be lame in one foot??
Have heard of horses being footy generally,and sore on certain ground etc,but why would taking shoes off cause problems in only one foot,and then lameness only showing up on a turn??

Genuine questions BTW,know more about barefoot than shod but knowledge is still limited TBH,just don't quite get why taking shoes off would cause these particular problems:confused:

Anyway sorry for waffle OP,can't tell loads from pics and shod is not my area,but would agree her feet look very 'short',am guessing farrier has done that on purpose though in view of vet opinion of toe being too long??

Has there been any improvement recently?? Hope so for yours and ponios sake,keep us updated:)

newrider.com