opinions on boots please?

scottishterrier

Jun 18, 2008
Scotland
Hi, i have been after some new boots for a while and really love the look and fit of mountain horse high rider 2 (plus tack shop have them at 40% off)but as most of my time is spent trudging through mud and dirt i thought perhaps the rimfrost boots would be better, they stil have the look of the high rider but are more hardwearing? except i havnt seen any to try on, only online so would like to know if anyone has either of these boots and what they are like for everything but riding. thanks x

I love Mountain Horse boots but have only ever had the short ones (Rider?). I have had two pairs over the years and they really keep your feet warm, even when riding out in temps of -16!! (You can tell I'm in Scotland too lol).

They're also comfy for walking in, waterproof and IMHO good value for money.

I have had Mountain Horse High Rider and Mountain Horse Rim frost - and to be honest if you are trudging through mud, either pair will do - as I even had the zip bust on the synthetic Rim Frost Riders!! I also have the Sportives - but I try and save them for better weather! To be honest, after doing a winter at home with the horses covered in mud - I still think welly boots are your best bet - and steel toe cap jod boots if you think you're going to get messed about with! The zips (with all the best will in the world) just aren't up to much - I mean the moment they get mud on them, their efficiency is reduced and you find that you are dragging them up and down. I even tried cleaning mine with an old toothbrush to get the mud out!!! I have heard that those Mudruckers are good tho - I think they are pull on rather than having a zip.

newrider.com