Opinions on artwork please...

welshponystar

Oct 22, 2005
Hi, just wondering if any of you fancied giving me some opinions on my artwork.

The pencil portrait drawing is of Jester, the highland I was sharing and I have included his photo for comparison.

The others I am thinking of making some prints and/or cards to sell. I was thinking of trying to sell them in tack shops as well as local gift shops and I would be interested to know if they would be the type of thing you would buy if they were for sale in your tack shop?

Do you think they are of a high enough standard to be making plans for them?

Honest opinions please, thanks :)

jesterportrait001.jpg

JesterWallpaper2.jpg

Aliandgizmo2.jpg

ArtworkFoals004.jpg

ArtworkFoals008.jpg

They, IMO are brill! I love the one of the highland, it's really well done! :D I'd def buy them if they where for sale in my tack shop! :D

amazing i do drawings aswell but i am not as good as you yet. i have had some people intrested in having my artwork stay in schools and stuff so yeah go ahead and sell em as long as your happy thats all that matters. the first one is amazing are some of them paintings, pastels ect.

Gosh, you are very talented.

I think they are beautiful and would imagine that people would like you to paint their horses.

With regards to making postcards or greeting cards, I personally like to buy humorous horse scenes.

Good luck with your venture.

xx

They are lovely!! :D I think it would be great if you made them into cards to sell in tack shops - I would buy them for my horsey friends! :)

I'm one of those naturally artistic types (wish I had a scanner to put some of my work up online), so while I've got a good hand for it, I can also judge how much I would pay, etc.

While your work is nice and coming along, I think you'd fare batter and make alot more if you fine tune it, and allow yourself to become more comfortable with the paint- (or are those pastels/chalks?) but I'm an extreme realist, so I'm alot more picky than most.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Afellpony said:
Did you go to art college, or just naturally talented?

I did do a degree in graphic design a few years ago and worked as a graphic designer for a while but gave it up due to the long hours etc. I took up painting and drawing a couple of years ago and have been painting mostly horses for about the last year.

Whatanejit said:
I think they are beautiful and would imagine that people would like you to paint their horses.

Thanks whatanejit, I have been doing some commisions for people I know and I showed the Jester drawing at the yard today and everyone was really positive and some are interested in having their horses painted :)

Just.Jump said:
While your work is nice and coming along, I think you'd fare batter and make alot more if you fine tune it, and allow yourself to become more comfortable with the paint- (or are those pastels/chalks?) but I'm an extreme realist, so I'm alot more picky than most.

Thanks for the opinions justjump. You don't need to have a scanner to get your work online, these are just taken with my digital camera, so go on we'd be interested in seeing your work :)

The first one is done in pencil, and the others in pastel. I have been using the pastels for around a year now but it is all continuous improvememt as I'm sure you know. Even looking at work from several months ago, I can see that it could have been improved in places and I will probably be the same with these in a few months

I like the first one- you got the feeling into it. I also liked the one of the foal lying down facing out- proportions are nice!

The other two seem to have a bit of a problem with proportions, but you certainly have a lot of ability to capture the essense of the horse! Keep at it and sell the best!

Thanks again to everyone who has posted their comments, its nice to hear feedback.

fluffy said:
How much would you ask for a commision?

Not too sure but probably in the region of £35 for an A4 pencil or pastel to include mount, although if tack is included then I've discovered that it takes a LOT more time! I learned this from drawing Jester with tack on :p

Greentchr said:
The other two seem to have a bit of a problem with proportions, but you certainly have a lot of ability to capture the essense of the horse! Keep at it and sell the best!

Thanks for your input, could you maybe explain where you think the proportions are out cos this will help me to improve future drawings? :)

Well done!:D

Those are excellento!:)

Wow.....you should be so proud! Honest!:eek:

Love them all. If I saw them in a shop......I would be highly drawn to them!;) :eek: :D

In the first one may I add.....you forgot the shadow of the rein. Sorry.....hope you won't hate me too much for that?:eek:

Other than that all are stunning. They are superb! I can't stop saying it!:eek:

Vic x

PS. 1 more thing they are wonderful!:p

I'm hoping to get a digital camera sometime within the year- it's a matter of saving money and waiting a little longer while the prices eventually creep down for the kind of camera I want (something that has the ability, resolution, and photo quality to take artistic pictures, not just pictures you would take without thought behind them).

I'll probably end up putting up my whole selection of work once I get the camera to go picture happy with :rolleyes: . And photoshop wouldn't be half bad to go with it either.

But anyway, yes I most definately know how pastels are. If your good around smudges, I find the dry pastels work the best- they go on evenly, unlike oils, and are *great* for blending, so would make a great backbone to shading and base coats.

Also, I find that as time goes on, my works greatly improve- once you've got the habit of looking at things artistically, your eye developes, and your hands follow that developement when you put it to practice on your surface. Lately I've been mucking around with watercolors, though. I need to get a new set of drawing pencils in the worst way.

:eek: You are extremely talented! Yes, I would deffinately look into purchasing something at my Tack shop if it looked as good as these! Your first picture is totally amazing! You Totally captured you horse Jasper in it!:) Wonderful work!

newrider.com