Ooooh, my legs... three riding lessons in two days!

Virago

Nov 8, 2006
Suffolk
For those of you with your own horses, this may be no big deal but I'm an RS rider and I decided to treat myself to a whole wodge of lessons while I am off work for Xmas. My usual hour a week is just not enough!

So I had one lesson yesterday - an hour of flatwork, mainly without stirrups. Then today I had an hour's flatwork followed by an hour's hack. It was heaven but oh boy, do I feel it in my legs this evening! My RI 'M' (sounds like she also stars in Bond films! ;) ) really worked me hard but I saw real improvement doing so much riding over two days.

The best bit was that the horse I rode in my flatwork lesson today was one I hadn't ridden for a few months and I could really see the change in my riding. He's called Charmer and the name's a bit tongue in cheek! If you don't ride him positively, he really takes the p***. Scrapes your leg against the wall, spins, circles, generally does his own thing. Last time I rode him he did all that. I rode through it and actually quite enjoyed the challenge but he really did try it on.

Today, I rode him really positively from the off and he didn't put a foot wrong. He was a joy to ride. I sometimes find it hard to be assertive with horses like this but I really seemed to get the measure of Charmer today and I'm dead proud of myself!

My OH was going to come along and video today's lesson but in the end he didn't... Wish he had now!

Anyway, thanks for letting me share! :)

Tell me about it :(

I worked at RS on Boxing Day exercising the horses, me and my friend rode 4 each in all, and my legs still haven't recovered. At work tonight at Morrissons (on the tills) i got up after 3 hours for my break and they'd seized up. Can't cross my legs or anthing :eek:

Sorry if this sounds silly but what are RS, RI and OH?
I know what you mean with the legs. I stopped riding for a year and then started again. I didn't realise for ages that it was the riding that was making me stiff because I never got stiff before! It was funny!

You'll soon get used to it! :D

I agree with Titch.

I went from riding once a week, to twice a week and eventually was getting lessons 4 times a week so decided I'd be better buying my own.

You do gradually build up a resistance to it and it stops hurting so much!:D

i know what that feels like, one week i went from riding once a week, to 5 times a week, hot baths and getting back in the saddle helps.

glad you can see your improvement:)

Ouch!:p

We rode everyday on Summer Camp and did other activities like swimming and bowling on the nights... we sure did keep active! And being down the stables and sleeping there was sure tiring! BUT y'know what I don't regret a moment as it was one of the best experiences in my life and I'd do it all over again - roll on Summer '08!

newrider.com