ooo, doesn't the middle of the school look nice?

You need to stop it before it starts.

Using the inside legs only works if they are willing to listen, so you need to use the reins to bump his nose back in the direction he's going.I f he's stubborn about it atap down the shoulder with a stick helps keep him in the right direction.

And you can't wait until he's starting to turn in - you need to bring him back out as soon as you feel him moving his shoulder over.

Ah, the power of the nap :rolleyes:

Inside leg and outside rein, LOTS. You need to ride as you mean to go on, praise when hes good and ignore the bad. Liek Pink's says you need to nip it in the bud, he'll try it on the whole ride if he knows hes going to get away with it at some point.

If your working on circles and the corner of the school or whatever, forget about the bend till you've established him listening to YOU. If he's not listening, then more inside leg and outside rein - its like what my instructor said about cantering one "Get him on the track first even if it encourages incorrect bend, he shouldn't cut his corners, once its established, you can go and deal with the bend later on". "Later on" meaning once the initial problem is sorted obviousley, ;) Once said ponio is listening, keeping a firm yet giving hold on the outside rein, open your inside hand to ask for flexion and aid the bend. If he falls in, more outside leg, less inside hand, and pull in your outside hand slightly and lift it (not sharp, and not so its uncomfortable but to show him you want him out and so he yields away from the bit pressure).

Praise is really important. And something that has helped me tremendousley is that when a horse naps, keep your eyes fixated on where you want to go and never give in nor go the way they want to if possible.

xxx

Also look at your weight distribution. It may be that you are putting more weight on the inside leg and that he is actually doing what you are asking for! It often happens when you need to use a lot of inside leg so put more weight in to the outside stirrup. Oh and make sure you don't drop one shoulder more than the other. Might also be worth trying pilates or yoga to strenghten your core muscles.

OK - it is not about strength, it is about timing!

The only time you can influence a horse's leg is when it is lifting off the ground.

So get into the habit of counting the hoof falls - then hold the outside rein to stop him turning in and kick or nudge with the inside leg as the inside rear hoof leaves the ground - he will step over towards the outside and stay on the track. This is leg yielding and they all know how to do it!

So, in walk feel the inside rear hip drop and kick. In trot, kick as you sit. In canter, 1 is the outside rear, kick on 2, the double leg stride, 3 is the leading leg.

Keep the rythm by saying 1, 2, 3, kick, 1, 2, 3, kick or up, kick, up, kick or 1, kick, 3, 1, kick, 3.

P likes to cut corners, he doesnt drift into the middle, but on the r rein he certainly does come in off the track on the coreners.

I make sure the r rein is against his neck and also sometime lay the stick agains his neck too, It does keep him out, even if it does mean that he gets a bit long in the neck and onto his forehand - thats my next challenge. :confused:

I was going to suggest that you look at your seat too. It could just be that he is more sensitive to weight aids and you are putting too much weight to the inside :)

Echo what everyone else has said.
Do you carry a whip?If you do, carry it in your inside hand and if he tries to drift in, give him a little tap on the shoulder as well as using your outside hand and inside leg.

To get your leg muscles stronger try doing trampolining or swimming or riding a bike!

newrider.com