One thing leads to another...

bexj

May 8, 2002
Penistone
www.mollycob.blogspot.com
In my intensive courses this week, I really focussed on keeping my lower leg more secure, and back a couple of cms from where I had it previously. So, I got on Molly on Friday with my new-found leg, only to find that I couldn't keep it there without tipping forwards onto my fork. So, three things sprang to mind.....
a) I am still stiff from my lessons, and the my muscles are too tired to cope with holding them in a strange position
b) the saddle is tipping me forwards
c) my legs don't wrap round Molly's rather round barrel

So, I tried again yesterday in the school, and the same thing was happening. I got my YO to have a look, and sure enough, the saddle is too wide for Molly (she has lost quite a lot of weight over the last 12 months) and so it is sitting on her withers, and throwing me forwards. I'm going to get one of those prolite front risers as a temporary measure, and call a saddler as soon as possible.

Is it likely that a saddler will be able to alter my current saddle so that it is a bit narrower, or is it likely that I will need a new saddle?

I not sure but i think that on certain saddles the ?tree? can be adjusted to make it wider or narrower i think it depends on the saddle do you know what make it is? :)

i'm not sure then most saddlers exchange their saddles so you exchange yours for another one of the same style just narrower? :)

It's highly unlikely that they'll be able to change the fit of the saddle, unless it's only a very small change - you'll probably be better off part exchanging it against a different one.

Ross

I had the saddler out on saturday, because I had exactly the same problem as you - too wide a saddle. Ms Humphries didn't want to adjust it until she'd put more weight on so i'm phoning her again when she's fattened up a bit more!

I have a prolite riser pad and that works fine! My saddle is synthetic - bog standard and she's able to adjust mine so don't see why yours shoudn't be adjustable??

Thanks Ross, I thought that part-ex would probably need to be the solution too, but as my saddle is only 3 years old, then hopefully it's part ex value will be ok.

Chickflick - interesting to hear of your experiences with a wide saddle. I'm hoping the prolite will help, but don't want it to end up pinching her shoulders. Saddlers round here are like hens teeth, so I think the prolite might be in place for a while!

Saddler knows her stuff so I trust her. She did also inform me I had it on the wrong straps, but she said I had it lovely and level!

Bexj - just be careful, I ALWAYS have to get off mid-ride to adjust the stupid prolite pad (can you tell it irritates me) because it has slipped from underneath the saddle. I'll be keeping my prolite I think, a handy backup I guess.

Let us know how the saddler goes?

Well I was outbid on the prolite pad on ebay:( but a lady at the yard has lent me one of the Wintec risers, which are foamy type pads, and I have just used it on Molly. One of the other ladies at the yard is a Western Saddle fitter, and whilst she is not trained to fit English, she has a dam-site more clue than I have:eek: She seemed to think it does it's job in lifting the saddle off the withers, but is slightly concerned that it may pinch Molly's shoulders a bit. But rather that than pressing on the withers. I rode out in it, my legs stayed (more or less) in the right place now, and Moo seemed happy enough:D So, a result, temporarily. Have left message for saddle fitter.:)

newrider.com