One horse - Two passports...Eh???!!!

rach4uk4

Colourful Comedian :)
Sep 9, 2005
brentwood, essex. UK
I have just discovered my horse has 2 passports through some research and witht the help of NED :)
My problem is i only have ONE of these passports, the other is floating around somewhere with a previous owner.
What troubles, if any, may this present?? :confused: i am so confused!!
ta

Mine is the same - he was issued a Weatherby's passport as a baby, but somewhere down the line it has vanished and he was issued with a Cleveland Bay Society passport when he was sold at auction in 2005.

Really, the person who got the second passport should have requested a copy of the first one, but prior to NED, I'm not sure how you would find out if your horse was passported and by who. I can't imagine there would be any problems, although you may want to contact the issuer of the original passport and let them know that that particular one was lost and should be made void on their records if possible.

oh cool thanks for the advice :D
this is quite interesting...so you can apply for a new passport at any time?? I am trying to get my horses name changed but my current passport issuer wont allow it.... could i just "lose" his passport and apply for a new one with a different PIO under the new name that i want?? :rolleyes: :D or is that highly naughty.................

If they ever find out they will make you destrou the new passport and will reissue the old one ...

but in principle, yes, you can apply for a new one. NEDline is supposed to put an end to all that, but it's not really working for them!

If you find that your horse has two passports it really is important to conact both NED and your PIO. As you are aware, having two Passports is illegal, and this could ultimately fall back on you as the owner.

My horse has at least two passports; I hold two but the earliest was issued when he was 2yo. He probably has a Fell Pony one issued at birth floating around somewhere but I dont have it.

I tried to sort it but the passport people were most unhelpful and expected me to pay lots of money so *raspberry* to that.

xxx

this is quite interesting...so you can apply for a new passport at any time?? I am trying to get my horses name changed but my current passport issuer wont allow it.... could i just "lose" his passport and apply for a new one with a different PIO under the new name that i want?? :rolleyes: :D or is that highly naughty.................

Do you think that perhaps the reason your horse has two passports in the first place is because somebody did that or something like that? Are both copies of the passport the same? If so, I wouldn't worry.

Does you horse not have anything recorded in its passport of value?
I surely wouldn't want to have a blank passport just for the sake of a name, all my horses vaccinations/treatments are recorded in it, points and breeding...

Is your horse not microchipped? Surely his microchip number is on his existing passport.. if so, its highly likely in the future that this could be discovered if he is ever scanned at a show or while being transported.

My horse was issued a second passport just before I bought him, despite the fact that he was microchipped and that chip was registered to his original passport (from when he was a 2yo), which was not in the possession of the seller.

I only got it because I traced the microchip (which showed up at his vetting), and the company wouldnt give me any details except the vet who chipped him and his name - Tinker. Rang them, no pony called Bob Marley in their records, no fell ponies, no ponies in Morpeth, no Tinker.... ah, but his microchip number was there, registered to a pony called Tinka. Vets wrote to old owners, who contacted me and it turned out they still held his passport. So they sent it to me. I now have a Bob Marley passport and a Tinka passport.

:rolleyes:

SO..... apparently the Bob Marley one needs cancelling, they need to trace previous owners, fine them for selling him without a passport, then I need to pay to have him changed into my name on the Tinka passport, and pay to have HIS name changed back to Bob Marley.

If I didnt have the original Tinka passport (if I hadnt tracked the owner down), Id also have to pay to have that cancelled and reissued in my name.

I also have to have his microchip papers voided because they are missing, pay to reissue them, and pay to change them into my name, AND pay to change HIS name on them.

Oh, and I have to listen to the passport people insinuate that I have stolen him every time I ring trying to sort it out.

Needless to say, Im just sticking with the passport I got when I bought him.

xxx

My horse was issued a second passport just before I bought him, despite the fact that he was microchipped and that chip was registered to his original passport (from when he was a 2yo), which was not in the possession of the seller.

I only got it because I traced the microchip (which showed up at his vetting), and the company wouldnt give me any details except the vet who chipped him and his name - Tinker. Rang them, no pony called Bob Marley in their records, no fell ponies, no ponies in Morpeth, no Tinker.... ah, but his microchip number was there, registered to a pony called Tinka. Vets wrote to old owners, who contacted me and it turned out they still held his passport. So they sent it to me. I now have a Bob Marley passport and a Tinka passport.

SO..... apparently the Bob Marley one needs cancelling, they need to trace previous owners, fine them for selling him without a passport, then I need to pay to have him changed into my name on the Tinka passport, and pay to have HIS name changed back to Bob Marley.

If I didnt have the original Tinka passport (if I hadnt tracked the owner down), Id also have to pay to have that cancelled and reissued in my name.

I also have to have his microchip papers voided because they are missing, pay to reissue them, and pay to change them into my name, AND pay to change HIS name on them.

Oh, and I have to listen to the passport people insinuate that I have stolen him every time I ring trying to sort it out.

xxx

So then you would disagree with the OP's idea of getting a new passport under a different name... so that what happened to you won't happen to someone else?

The ISPCA do rounds at some of shows here, and they scan horses to check they are not stolen.. if their scanner has a record of the orginal name (they don't always, different databases...) and it disagrees with the passport you present what happens there??

We have never been to such a formal show and if that were to happen (though I think it is highly unlikely), Id present the Tinka passport - which matches the microchip. But we dont do formal enough showing to have to have the passport on us in the first place either!

But yes, please dont get yet ANOTHER passport - it's a hassle for the next person to buy your horse!

xxx

xxx

:eek::eek::eek: crikey! i wont bother. also i will keep schtum about knowing of the original one. I am not prepared to pay anything else!
thanks for advice
xxx

newrider.com