One handed lunging and Injury Update (Cat,Horse and Hand Photos!)

Gattino

Happy Appy
Jul 16, 2012
Ireland
Had a lunge lesson today and went ok on right rein once I figured how to hold a lunge line in my right hand and kind of tuck a lunge whip under my left lower arm. Was much harder on left rein as can't hold lunge line in left hand like usually would so had it and stick in right hand with a bit of it between thumb and finger of left hand for guidance. It's her weaker rein too :rolleyes:

Need stick at moment as she doesn't go completely off the voice yet so need the back up.

Was lovely to work with her though :D

Yesterday I did a tiny bit after someone else and then my RI had lunged her and my RI stayed in circle with me then.

She is a sweet mare though and as so cooperative was able to do a few things like get bridle and boots on and groom her. Just needed help with buckle on noseband and getting saddle on her and I can't pick out feet yet!

Back to hospital tomorrow to get checked all ok and hopefully a proper cast that's a bit more durable :D:D

Just back from hospital had X rays and they took half cast and bandages off, Drs had a look at it and then got new dressings (I think soaked in iodine) put on and new gutter cast, bandage over it better than last one. Half of it is soft and padding and half hard cast. Was interesting seeing wires as ends go out from skin and protected with a little rubber thing they have on them. They are thicker than I thought! Get them out in 3 weeks which I hope is not too sore getting done.

I took a pic with cast off so will put up later with a warning for anyone squeamish :D:D

Really pleased with gift at weekend she went xc schooling and I watched a d she was just so good

I mostly just worried for a split second when thought wire was going to pull when they took dressing bit off :rolleyes:

My hand looks a bit weird but way less swollen than it was :)

Here is a pic with wires I'll do it down a bit in case anyone wants to avoid seeing (it's not too bad though) And after it is a cast pic. Then some pics of Pippa the cat and a couple of Gift.

'

'

'

'

'

'

IMG_4406.JPG

New cast

IMG_4408.JPG

IMG_4409.JPG

Lovely cat

IMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4404.JPG

Gift posing for a photo

IMG_4359.JPG

After XC schooling, Gift was so good :D

IMG_4385.JPG

Aw Gift and puss are lovely! I think you are being very brave about your hand, I'd be proper poorly sick with a shawl wrapped round if it were me!

Reactions: Gattino
Yuck, the iodine stuff makes me feel ill with just the thought of it. They used tons of it on my leg and it was awful. Even the smell sets me off now.

Hope your hand is better soon, lovely cat and horse :)

Thanks everyone :D

Lunged her without help today. Wrapped cast in bandage to keep clean so doesn't smell of horses and have sand sprayed on it for 3 weeks :rolleyes:

Just can't canter her on left rein as not enough control to do it properly yet with line and stick in right hand.

She is improving with voice commands :) Was just great to be at yard as wasn't able to go Friday and Saturday.

Those wires do look weird, and I hope the hand isn't as painful as it looks .... Thanks for your careful introduction of the scary bits - I hate it when you just scroll down and there's a pic of some terrible wound without any warning. Your cat pictures are lovely.

It's not so bad now just get the odd twinge of pain and can get achey if haven't had it up for several hours but only need the odd paracetamol now so that's really good :D

newrider.com