OMG! OMG! OMG!

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
As you may have read I have been kayaking every day to help out with the coaches assessment days for various levels. Been guinea pig supreme.

Well the dramatic non rescue on Monday was funny enough, but today beats all (and nobody had a camera)

We'd been practicing various rescue techniques in the middle of the voe and gently drifting with the wind and tide while I showed a chap how to make a 15m tow line into a 10m tow line, just as we'd drifted away from a spot in the middle of the voe a MASSIVE sea creature leaped out of the water and breeched. I nearly leapt out the water too Kayak and all. Then a few seconds later it breeched again and I got a better look at it. My kayak is 17 feet long, and this thing dwarfed the boats. It was dark on top with a speckled underside and leaped clean out of the water, It had to be 25 feet long.if not bigger. At the third leap we all had time to make better observations. By the second leap I was wondering if it was a basking shark as the fins were all on at the wrong angle for a whale and the wrong colour. That and the fact we were not alerted to its presence by blowing, that's usually the first thing that alerts you to whales and dolphins, There were seals popping about so it was not an Orca. Anyway, it was a sight to behold and made our day, and the visiting examiners were chuffed to have seen it up so close. Silly grin

Oh WOW!! So you think a basking shark?? How amazing but Id have been bricking it!!! What a shame you didnt have a camera!

Jeez!!! In a way I'm jealous that you got to see such a beauty at close quarters, but if I'm honest I'd have been too terrified to have appreciated it at the time. Wow, just wow!

Wow! What an experience. I've seen them twice from land, once in Orkney and once in Egypt.
I was absolutely awe struck by the size and power of them. Amazing creatures!

How wonderful Wally, I've seen them from a headland on Harris, I was jumping up and down trying to shout and point to the people walking on the beach, they were so close they would have easily seen them, but they never even looked up, I know they are not dangerous but I'm fairly sure I wouldn't want to be in a kayak alongside one!

Wow it must have been amazing and slightly terrifying to be in there with them. Such a shame nobody got any photos!
Basking sharks come to Cornwall quite often because of the warmer water, and people go swimming with them if they come near a harbour or beach :eek: I went to see them once and they were so much bigger and scarier looking than I expected, majestic and peaceful but there's no way on earth you would catch me in there with them!

It was the leaping clear of the water that was the danger to us, the power was amazing it was not the ordinary little splash the seals and porpoises make this was a massive BOOM!

It was the leaping clear of the water that was the danger to us, the power was amazing it was not the ordinary little splash the seals and porpoises make this was a massive BOOM!

The thought of that landing on you :eek:! I should think even too close could be very dangerous. And when I followed the link you posted further up it said they normally do it when they're in groups. Frightening.

newrider.com