Omg its happened we've got a horse (hopefully)

libbyc3

Nov 24, 2019
Found this forum whilst googling lots of newbie questions and I think I've found my home!!
So pending vetting I've just bought a mother daughter horse (I'm the mum!).
15.3 thoroughbred mare. Bought from colleague of my daughter who is an apprentice groom and horse is known to their boss as she helped retrain her after leaving track. Sadly colleague has genuine serious health condition resulting in sale and also stopping horses altogether.

Sooo I'm scared, excited, happy, panicking and everything in between.
Just wanted to let it out here and prepare you all for the endless barrage of questions!!

Reactions: Lexi 123 and GaryB
good luck, it's always scary committing to buy hope the vetting goes ok. Even if issues are raised, do not panic about them, take them into context with what you want the horse to do i.e. I have bought a horse which failed a vetting but was fine for my requirements.

Hi! Congratulations! Don’t worry at all about the barrage of questions! I’ve not been here long myself but everyone seems super friendly and happy to advise. :)

Thanks for the welcome!! I'm not worried about the vetting - only in tèrms of insurance exclusions.
Have found livery home today on a lovely quiet old fashioned yard 10 mins walk from my house.
Plenty of work to do and money to spendo_O getting it all ready for her arrival - til that happens it's not real lol

The day they first arrive is the best - and scariest! I was a wreck both times, and they barely raised a sweat. Am sure it will go smoothly. The yard sounds nice too - I've been at the same one for 27 years, it's tatty but very homey!. Pictures please when you've got her settled!

Reactions: Trewsers
The day they first arrive is the best - and scariest! I was a wreck both times, and they barely raised a sweat. Am sure it will go smoothly. The yard sounds nice too - I've been at the same one for 27 years, it's tatty but very homey!. Pictures please when you've got her settled!

Oooh yes the first day they arrive is certainly the best and scary!!! lol Remember all ours well. Happy days :D

Reactions: Huggy
Had many,many first day arrivals over the years and for me I have never lost that slightly stomach churning excited butterfly in the tummy feeling that I had as a child, you just have to try and cover it up when you get old and act all grown up and nonchalant and laid back when the lorry pulls in the yard. ;) when is the vetting? and good luck I hope it all goes well and look forward to pics (pics are compulsory on here by the way :D )

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Welcome to the forum.

Just curious what an old fashioned yard is. I might be on one, but wouldn't really know. :)

Reactions: Trewsers
Welcome to the forum.

Just curious what an old fashioned yard is. I might be on one, but wouldn't really know. :)
Well maybe I'm being polite, and it's a euphemism for rundown! There's just me and the owner there now, but there's never been rules about time for turnout/bringing in, and the liveries always had a lot of say in how things were done. As long as everyone got on with their own business, it was ok. Seemed to work. Obviously now, with just me there, I'm lucky to get to do things my way if I want, (within reason) even more so than when there were 6 or 7 liveries there.

Sorry, that's not to say other "old fashioned " yards are tatty! Just what I would say about ours!!! Sounded very rude of me!

Well maybe I'm being polite, and it's a euphemism for rundown! There's just me and the owner there now, but there's never been rules about time for turnout/bringing in, and the liveries always had a lot of say in how things were done. As long as everyone got on with their own business, it was ok. Seemed to work. Obviously now, with just me there, I'm lucky to get to do things my way if I want, (within reason) even more so than when there were 6 or 7 liveries there.

Sounds like a lovely place.

Reactions: Huggy
Very sad times:(
After a really good try on Sunday the horse napped and threw my daughter off for no identiable reason. Twice!
Vet and trainer said walk away so I'm disappointed and the child is devasted!!
Even though the owner offered a trial for 8 weeks we decided that the time of year is wrong is there is no floodlit facilities so we wouldn't even be able to try and sort any issues out.
I can't face actively horse shopping so am taking an ear to the ground approach.
Gutted!!

To be honest an ottb might not be what you necessarily want.
It largely depends on the why they came out of racing, how much retraining they have done and how experienced everyone is.

Reactions: BW123
Thinking of it we don't really have any rules -
Hats must be worn if riding
Nothing to left hanging over the stable doors, outside the stables or on the yard. Everything has a place put it there.

Very sad times:(
After a really good try on Sunday the horse napped and threw my daughter off for no identiable reason. Twice!
Vet and trainer said walk away so I'm disappointed and the child is devasted!!
Even though the owner offered a trial for 8 weeks we decided that the time of year is wrong is there is no floodlit facilities so we wouldn't even be able to try and sort any issues out.
I can't face actively horse shopping so am taking an ear to the ground approach.
Gutted!!
Damn shame, but better now, than 6 weeks and lots of broken bones later. It'll happen, the right one will turn up sooner or later.

newrider.com