OMG is it really as bad as it sounds

daljoe

Oct 3, 2007
Had the saddle lady out today to adjust my saddle, and she asked me to trot up the road to check it out, well I was taken a back by what she then said to me, she said that my ponys pelvis looks like it has dropped:eek: at first I was like OMG thats it I will never be able to ride again but then she explained to me that it can be treated. I have had a few issues with him, nothing serious just things that I think why does he do that, for instance when trotting up the road he will not trot in the middle of the road, he has to vear over to left and trot on the verge, I just cannot keep him on the road, I have issues with his steering, he falls in when we are turning right, he has his head quite low when being ridden, she explained to me how he looks from behind when trotting and that it just dosn't look right, so I have been straight on the phone to a back person who is going to come out. My question is, is it really as bad as it sounds, he has never bucked reared or taken off with me, he never messes about so is it really hurting him that much. Is it something that can be sorted, and what if it isn't his pelvis could it be something else that could alot more serious. I am now starting to panic, I adore my pony and would be devastated if it turns out to be something that wont get better:(

Oh and the saddle lady said I am still ok to ride him as he is showing to much discomfort. I have also noticed that now and again it feels like his back leg gives way could this also be down to a dropped pelvis?

Is good to hear that you have a back person coming out to visit your horse, I find it strange that your saddler referred to is as "dropping" what generally tends to happen is that the pelvis can drop on one side and this would explain the symptoms you are seeing.

The back person should be able to provide you with more information and a clearer diagnosis of what is happening, one thing to remember if indeed there is something out of place (i.e her pelvis) then chance are its going to take multiple chiro visits to get things back where they should be

Good luck

I will be honest I can't actually remember how she described it as I was in a bit of a state. I know she said his hips are not level, and I have been having a few issues just lately like him being stiff on one rein, and putting up a bit of fight when I ask him to trot so I do think he needs looking at. Anyway I am having a lady out on Wednesday called Emily Graham who apparently is a very respected lady in the horse world around here she deals with polo ponies and all sorts and she will be doing the Mctimmoney treatment on him, has anyone had or know of anyone whos horse has had this treatment.

I personally would not ride him again until you not only had the chiropracter out but also your vet. Just what I would do, if he were my horse.

He might not be in pain at the moment, but you don't know if any riding might be making any existing condition worse.

Get the vet and the back person... see what they have to say and then move on from there.

And try not to panic. Honestly.

Oh and the saddle lady said I am still ok to ride him as he is showing to much discomfort. I have also noticed that now and again it feels like his back leg gives way could this also be down to a dropped pelvis?

Sorry, but your post is confusing me a bit....You say your back lady said that you were "okay to ride him because he is showing to much discomfort" What does that mean:confused::confused:

Also, how long have you been aware that his back leg gives way??

I really am not criticising you, but how come you haven't had the vet out if you have been experiencing this??:confused:

It'll be sorted out. :) don't worry! My horse had it when i first got him, and having it treated sorted out problems similar to the ones you are describing. Not sure I would him until it has been sorted out though- I was advised not to by the chiropractor. :)

Sorry, but your post is confusing me a bit....You say your back lady said that you were "okay to ride him because he is showing to much discomfort" What does that mean:confused::confused:

Also, how long have you been aware that his back leg gives way??

I really am not criticising you, but how come you haven't had the vet out if you have been experiencing this??:confused:

I meant to say the back lady said I was ok to ride because he ISN'T showing any discomfort, and believe me if for one minute I thought he was in pain I certainly wouldn't be riding him. I say his leg gives way but I am not sure if thats the best way to describe it, its like he has stepped on something thats hurt him and it only happens when ridden over rough ground, he can be a bit touchy when ridden over gravel, so I just assumed it was that. I havn't had the vet out because I have had no reason too, he has never bucked, reared, bitten or kicked, he is happy with me tacking him up, getting on him he has never ever done a thing wrong, we have been cantering (up until I was told about his back) with no bucks, and i have always been told if a horse is in pain you will no about it. And our ridden works consists now of just riding out on the roads at a steady walk, we don't go jumping I don't go galloping across fields, but when he knows we are on our way home he would glady trot all the way home if I let him. (I just struggle to get him into a trot on the way out.) The Mctimmoney lady is coming on Wednesday and if she suggests that he needs to see a vet, then a vet he will see.

Last edited:
My horse also used to lose a back leg now and again, I thought it was his stifle but got the back man out and it was his pelvis. Took two manipulation treatments and the difference was quite remarkable. Still loses a hind leg sometimes but its very rare, his paces are all improved 100%, tracks up beautifully now with no effort.

Only thing I will warn you about, after its been fixed, you will have to re-learn how to trot!! It will feel seriously bouncy!!!

A qualified 'back person' should not treat your horse without contacting your Vet first. Normally they ask for the number.:confused:

Please don't worry, that was a poor choice of words from your saddler! what i think she means is his pelvis is slightly out of allignment. if you stand him square and stand behind him you should see that the points of his hips are a little lop sided if you were to put a piece of wood across them. this will make him shorten on one side.
And it's fixed with quite a simple procedure. she'll grab his back leg and lift it quickly and quite high and it will be back it line in no time.
I would say, i hope that your saddler did not refer you to the back lady.

ooooohhh im worried now!!
my 4 year old vears to one side every now and again...walks with his head low...and is walks VERY slowly most of the time!
my vet said he had a stiff stifle hope she rite!!

A qualified 'back person' should not treat your horse without contacting your Vet first. Normally they ask for the number.:confused:
I have got to ring them and get their permission for her to do a Mctimmoney treatment on him as it is illegal for her to come out to do it without their permission first.

Please don't worry, that was a poor choice of words from your saddler! what i think she means is his pelvis is slightly out of allignment. if you stand him square and stand behind him you should see that the points of his hips are a little lop sided if you were to put a piece of wood across them. this will make him shorten on one side.
And it's fixed with quite a simple procedure. she'll grab his back leg and lift it quickly and quite high and it will be back it line in no time.
I would say, i hope that your saddler did not refer you to the back lady.

Yes she did say his hips were slightly uneven, it was probably me getting the words wrong:( and I can see now that they are uneven. Can I just ask why you hope the saddler did not refer me to the back lady? My brother in law mentioned our problem to a horsey lady he knows and she also recommended this Lady to me, she is quite well known around here and deals alot with polo ponies. I have just rang the vets and they have given permission for her to come and have a look at him.

Hi

Just to let you know, my horse too has an unlevel pelvis, he is absolutely fine I get his back treated about every six months. So don't panic about your boy! There are lots of horses that are unlevel behind, you just need to manage it correctly :)

I know it sounds a bit untrusting, but if the saddler refered you to a back lady, i wonder if she's getting work for her. if you can see the uneven pelvis then there is no need to worry. sorry just me, if she good and you have other referers then good!

I must admit that did go through my mind as soon as she said it, but his hips do look uneven and with other little problems I have had it does make sense, and the saddler is a really nice lady and I am almost certain that she wouldn't fob me off, but I do understand where you are coming from. I admit as well that I am really worried about it and will be glad when Wednesday is here, I am sure he will be ok but you know what its like you have them nasty thoughts in the back of your mind. After witnessing him tearing around the field tonight I can't see that there is much wrong with him:rolleyes:

Hi

Just to let you know, my horse too has an unlevel pelvis, he is absolutely fine I get his back treated about every six months. So don't panic about your boy! There are lots of horses that are unlevel behind, you just need to manage it correctly :)

Did your horse have any of the problems I have mentioned?

newrider.com