OMG! I just saw what could've been a deadly horsey accident!

Jen_e_Jen

Jackson's Mama
Apr 7, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana. U.S.
I was schooling a friends horse for her, and her daughter was schooling another in the arena today. It's more than big enough for both of us, especially since Tut and I weren't doing anything above a walk yet. Now, Cindy(friends daughter)has grown up on horses and is better than I could ever hope to be I think, and has done jumping, dressage, and just about everything else.

Cindy was riding a pretty green mare named Taffy, and she was NOT paying any attention to Cindy. She was all over the arena, and just generally ill behaved, but not mean.

All of the sudden she started backing up pretty fast straight for the arena gait, and just in time Cindy was able to get her hind end swung around and she stopped.

About 15 min later she did it again, but MUCH faster! The faster she went the closer her butt got to the ground, until finally it hit the ground and she went over backwards!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cindy hit pretty hard, and then Taffy rolled over her right leg. Thankfully Cindy had fallen a touch to the left and Taffy rolled to the right. As soon as I could get off Tut(poor sweetheart was terrified, and just kept looking at Cindy on the ground and dancing!) I ran over, and her mom ran over. She was able to get up after a few minutes, but her arm and leg were already swelling massively and bruising. She had broken her fall w/her arm.
They took her to the hospital and they thought she had broken her tibia, but luckily she hadn't and only has severe contusions. That was one of the scariest things I've ever seen, and I am just happy she is going to be all right.

It's really scary when accidents like those happen. I'm glad it's nothing more than a few bruises, poor girl - bet she's sore tomorrow, though!

Glad your friends daughter is ok. These accidents are very scarey to witness.

A couple of years ago my friend was working her horse in her arena and the mare lost her footing, horse went head over heals:eek: poor girl was very aware of her rider and actually swung her backend just enough to avoid rolling over rider. It happened sooooo quickly, luckily niether of them were seriously injured even the saddle survived the ordeal - if I had not witnessed it I would not of believed how well that horse tried to look after her rider.

true pengapenga, I was on a rs horse once and she dropped but allowed me to jump off to the left and she went rolling to the right, (even tucked her legs so not to clip me) could easily of gone over on my legs, horses seem to always be aware of where their riders are and look after them. (such gentle beasts!!)
Turned out she was having a massive colic attack :(

It's shocking when you witness things like that.

I was in the arena with a friend years ago. She was leading her horse over small jumps. She was leading in a bridle and had a helmet on. Suddenly the horse took off after one of the jumps and kicked out. He collected the girl in the face.

We helped her parents arrived and took her to hospital. It was horrible to watch but luckily she had a great plastic surgeon and she is better than new.

Scary, I am glad she's okay and not too badly hurt.

I hate it when they run or spook backwards. I think its not my worst fear, especially as now i've taught puzzle to rein back its his favourite avasive pace!!! funny its not when you're trying to teach them it!!!

glad everyone involved is ok.

Wow WV, that would have been terrifying to watch!

It definitely reinforces the fact that you can never let your guard down around horses. As much as we love them and they love us, they still have that fight or flight instinct and once it takes over there is not much we can do other than jump off at the first opportunity.
I was so relieved she was ok, she just has to stay off of her feet for a few days and keep it elevated.
And you can't be mad at Taffy, she didn't mean to hurt Cindy. She was totally freaked out by the whole thing too. I made sure I checked her over and she wasn't hurt at all that I could tell, which is also lucky since she was wearing a western saddle w/a horn and split reins that were dangling around her legs.

My friend's loan mare from RS is always a bit spooky in a certain school, but once (before my friend loaned her) another horse went lame I think, so they decided to use her as usually she's fine. Anyway, kid was riding her and my friend's mare's loaner at the time was leading the horse.

The horse spooked at whatever and the girl leading her tripped so let go of her, she tried to jump the railing to get out of the school, but she's not a competent jumper, bless her, and caught herself on the pole and kind of somersaulted round it, sending the kid flying!

Both parties were fine, just a few bruises but obviously scary to witness!

I've also heard a story where an indoor school with a mirror along the back wall was being used in a SJ competition, one of the horses obviously got confused seeing the reflection and attempted to jump into the mirror thinking it was the jump they could see... again, no serious injuries, but I can imagine the poor horse was put off jumping for a while! :eek:

Hope both horsie and rider are ok!

newrider.com