OMG boys are tucked up in bed by 1530

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Never done this before but was sat in the house and watched the rain come down all day with out any let up at all. I looked at OH and he said 'do you want the boys in' yeap please lets go this was at 1500.

Got to the yard and went straight to the field we were both wet through before we even reached it. They looked so sad and unhappy stood head down in a mud it having eaten all their hay. I grabbed them both and they were happy to follow me out.

Got them in to the barn and they started shriving. I removed there outer rugs put on a nice stable rug then put the wet one back on them to dry (they were dry underneath) gave them loads of hay and their tea. With in minutes they had stopped shriving and were happy munching away.

I got home walked the dogs as I was already wet. Got in the house stripped naked in the hall way and went straight for a hot shower now sat in PJ and not going out again today.

What a horrible start to the new year. That plus a two hour visit to A&E with a friend that broke her ankle last night.

Happy 2014 everyone:giggle:

Both our girls were utterly miserable at lunch time, so I brought them in. They were more than happy to while away the hours indoors today. I will pop them back out shortly for a wander and roll in the school. They can wander the yard until lights out about 8.30pm. I certainly don't see the point in forcing them to stay out just for the sake of it - there's very little grass here anyway and they find the arena boring even with a net each.

Tobes came in at 2pm - I could stand it no longer, he was out at 7.30am, and he was delighted to see me! Some of the yard stayed in, and the rest were collected at 2.30!

Just a horrible day here, relentless wind and rain and can't imagine anything would be happy out in it all day and all night.

I think the only thing our girls miss when they come in is not being able to roll in their boxes, if I did it all again ( as in built stables from scratch) I would make the boxes double the size so they had more room.

Even Ben came in from 7:30am until 4pm today, but he has gone back out overnight. The weather isn't that cold where I am, but it is very wet.

Yeah ours had a duvet day today as the rain never stopped until 4pm then they went out for a few hours and back in for their tea :wink:

The yard was like a lake in places :furious:

We had a bit of flooding on the yard, not known that before. They were all out but I never worry because they do head into the barn for respite. Thankfully she does choose to come in and shelter.

Ideally we would have turn out with shelter so they could choose to be in or out as they liked but as not our own yard we have never had that :poop:

Oh dear, I'm feeling really bad about my two - out in the soggy field in the rain and the wind with only their own coats to protect them, and just trees and hedges for shelter. Not even any hay - there's still plenty of grass at the bottom of the field, and it's never really stopped growing. I've had to harden my heart because they really must lose a proper amount of weight this winter, and I know they're perfectly cheerful and warm but when I read about other people's horses all warm and dry it worries me a bit :frown:

But if your horses are happy out and are used to it then should be ok.

I personally couldnt have a horse live out in winter more for my own stress levels so feel sorry for you worrying :frown:

I see lots of horses out though and know Im quite soft when it comes to mine :redface:

Mine were out all day in it as usual. I only have two stables for 3 horses so they have to stay out in everything: I went up at 3:30 to feed and hay, they were pleased to see me but then again they always are! Though if I had 3 stables even I would have brought them in for a break from the weather!

At least its wet but not very cold and wet.

I would worry more if storms and wet with gales :frown:

Poppy was in all day yesterday - out having a hooley today but apparently it's going to be vile all weekend so she might be stuck indoors. Our YO likes to bring all the horses in in bad weather and she can't stay out on her own so that's just how it is.

our gang came in at 1415/1430 as it was torrential, the field was wet, and they were fed up

the forecast tomorrow is even worse, so I think they will be in all day.

It's been beautiful here today so ours stayed out until 4.30 then came in for tea! Tomorrow is meant to be hideous as is the whole weekend. Boo hiss. I've just about managed to dry my coats off! They take ages as they are so padded. Looks like I will be needing them all again and my waterproof trousers.

My boys ( I say my boys, sox and his field mate) were at out half 10 and both wanted to come in by 2 . Weather wasnt that bad just there fields are like a mud bath and theres hardly any grass. My boy was in bed by 7pm tonight after my schooling sessions turned into a jumping one!

newrider.com