Older dog - injections for joints

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
We have an old lab, worked all her life and is starting to show the signs of needing extra support.

She is on a joint supplement but the vet has given us a few options of medication.

Cartrofen is one -
Previcox -
Tramadol -

I think the injections have good feedback but does anyone have an old dog on this sort of medication?

my old lurcher is on metacam, which seems to help with her joints. But she has to have it with food or upsets her stomach.

I dont know if Cartrofen is the same as carprofen, but our golden retriever had a very bad reaction to carprofen, hed died in the end of liver failure :-( Not saying that that was why he died and that all dogs will react to it, but there is a lot of bad press about carprofen, make sure your vet tells you what side affects to watch out for.

Sorry to be so glum.

I think tramadol is the safest of them.

Hope you find something that works and your girl feels better soon.

My English Springer Molly is 10. She is very young in herself but has been a ferociously hard worker all her life and is high mileage, she has severe arthritis on all 4 limbs from hip/elbow to paw.

We treated her for a while with natural remedies like Devil's Claw, then considered operating, but Fitzpatrick Referrals (the Bionic Animals guys, our local surgeons) said it wasn't worth operating as you would never stop!

She is now on Trocoxil once a month and 2 x 50mg Tramadol every day. The Trocoxil bonds internally and provides long term pain relief, the Tramadol is for daily pain. She is fit, well and happy, a perfect slim weight and not "sedated" at all. If she is sore or has had a particularly long walk she can have an extra Tramadol, which she has done three or four times. If on the other hand she is well and bouncy she may only have one Tramadol in the day.

She has check ups with the vet every 6 months as not all dogs get on with Trocoxil, but all has been fine so far. We are very pleased that this medication allows her to have the happy, active life she needs.

It's about £50 a month for all meds (her insurance became so expensive it wasn't worth it).

Thank you both, I will take the names of drugs to the vet at the end of the week. Mollie is on box rest now, I trotted her up for the vet earlier in the garden and she has I bad leg not related to the joint issue so we will see that through then start treatment.

Poor Mollie, such a lovely dog:frown:

newrider.com