Old rerider returning...

SmartyJones

Jul 21, 2007
Canadian West Coast
to this forum.
Been a 'reader' for sometime now.Just subscribed. I use to admire the posts by Old Woman. Mac, just reading about your hip replacement and you back in the saddle is so inspirational. Well done and that is a huge horse you are on.
I have a 14hh Highland pony and 15.1 hhConnemara cross in my back yard. Both safe and suitable. I look after them and organize loans with them but never get around to riding myself. I'm getting older (60) and I really need to return to it or I won't . I keep making excuses and find barn chores to do rather than ride.
I rode a lot as a junior,was pony club and show mom when kids were growing up. When they moved awayto Uni.and jobs,I bought myself a very safe non spooky 15.1 Connemara and recently a HiPo to keep the other company and be the 'guest horse'.
I'm totally horse crazy and do everything for them but the riding.... Guess I'm nervous of a fall....How did you all restart? We're any of you mentally paralysed to get back into the saddle?
Suggestions to over come procrastination would be so appreciated.
Thank you

Welcome back :biggrin: I miss Old Woman too.

Can't offer any helpful advice as in a similar boat, love the care side but lost the desire to ride.

I have ridden twice since christmas and plan to keep it up, talked myself into it, had to do it really as fed up being a foot soldier when my daughter takes her new horse out.

I dont remember Old Woman -though some of us older riders I do miss v much.
But what is this about HAVING to do it now or otherwise you wont?
My OH never sat on a horse until he was 67, and never had any intention of doing so.
Riding is not compulsory - it is something you do when you feel like it?
He felt like trail riding in Wyoming and Montana -
This is what he did to be safe - He didnt set off on his own. He went to an experienced RI and learned to sit well balanced in the saddle in walk and trot - (sitting trot not rising). He wore a hard hat and body protector.
And that was about it.
He has ridden once a week for pleasure ever since.
That same RI once taught a man to ride starting when he was over 70 - and he ended up jumping.
Like me, both these guys really wanted to ride and did it only at the moment they really wanted to. We know there is a risk attached to riding so it isnt worth riding unless you are consumed with desire to do it.

I don't ride the ponies I regularly volunteer to look after. The biggest is a 14.2hh dales but he is a carriage pony and although broken to ride I'm a bit tall and heavy for him as he is not very fit himself. Me and the stable manager regularly long rein or just walk them by hand and jog to make them trot. I will stress at this moment in time that I am in the process of losing weight by doing this so in time I could ride the dales pony.

Welcome to the more mature section. I do not think 60 is old as i am that age nearly, very nearly. Riding is about enjoying the moment and it does not matter if you are on an 18hh clydesdale or a 14hh pony it also doesnt mean you have to be able to jump 5 feet fences or be an expert horseman/woman. I try to ride most days in between work unless the weather is crap. [fair weather only now]
It keeps me sane and helps me forget my worries as well as keep my mind young even though my body reminds me i am not so flexible as i used to be. As a man in what is predominately a female hobby i get some fairly ribald comments but i dont care. I used to play a lot of contact sports and plus my time in the forces my body is somewhat knackered but i have found riding a great way to keep fit whilst enjoying the countside. If you really want to ride sometimes you just have to find a suitable laid back good natured horse and just get on its back even if you just sit there and get some one to lead. Taking the first step is the hardest so my advice is bite the bullet and do it, trust me you wont regret it.

I remember Old Woman and her long rides, wasn't she based in Northumbria somewhere??

As another 60 something I have been through the 'can't be bothered' stage, rode occasionally and enjoyed it when I did but couldn't be bothered making the effort much unless someone else suggested a ride.

It might sound bizarre but find an instructor who motivates you and only ride when they are there...I can almost guarantee that within a short while you will be having 'secret' practices and will lose your current mental paralysis!!

Went Out today!

Hello all,
Well I have some very exciting news. My leaser who shares my bombproof connemara, also a novice, suggested I get on my Highland Pony and go for a road walk. My Pony, Dougal, is not the most confident little chap but with my brave mare, he feels alright. When the leaser arrived at my barn, at first I froze and stayed in the house, thinking I'll just make up an excuse. I had dressed in jodphurs since the morning as I was committed to riding today. Then I thought now or never, get up from desk, walk out there, tack up and go for a gentle plod. I did just that.
A friend on her Halflinger pony joined us too. We rode along the river & roads, flapping tarps, made Dougal a tad nervous, but I kept him focused. We trotted. He managed one of his major spooks...when water surged out of a pipe into the ditch, he sprung forward ....(.really its a fast scoot). Well I kept my heels down, held onto the neck strap, with right hand, leaned back and the old "think of England!" phrase came to mind.:wink:
My company said I rode it out well and I was quite pleased with myself...I daresay.
So maybe I have broken the spell , maybe not. I shall ride the Connemera to get more confidence. You wanted to see a picture of my Highland. I haven't learned how to get photos on here yet...but here is a link of him doing a dressage test to Scottish music on Youtube. His Vaulting instructor is riding him....she has helped with all of his schooling so I owe everything to her.
Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAtmc2gwBa8

Sounds a great ride - and now you know you can sit a spook. Even tho it isnt nice at the time.

Interesting that you had company and eml's suggestion of a teacher. For some people it seems that part of the pleasure of riding is to have another person there - inter-acting, giving guidance and improvement and stimulating ideas. My OH likes lessons best.
Whereas others of us go off alone and the joy of riding is to have the solitary company of that horse?

Welcome back, there are few of us oldies on here and it's a great place for help and support. I have Highlands too and a Welsh cob. I certainly ride less than in my younger days, but love training my ponies and use clicker training.
Looking forward to your posts.

newrider.com