Old pic...Guess the race..

Who can identify the race and year from this pic, there is a clue in the pic; albeit a bit tenuous LOL... quite a dramatic race it was this year!!!!
could make it a weekly quiz thingy, if anyone is interested...:biggrin::biggrin:
horsepic-1.jpg

Gill Osborne

Sep 6, 2003
Alnwick, Northumberland.
Visit site
My first thought was Foinavon's National when there was a massive pile-up at one small fence but that was in 1967.

When you mentioned a famous corner I then thought of Tattenham Corner but, like Luna, cannot find any records of jockeys being unseated :unsure:

Back to the drawing board.......:rolleyes:

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
1962, Kilmore, Fred Winter, Ryan Price 28/1 Grand National Winner. Means nothing to me I'm afraid.

Was it the year that horse came from the back once everyone else had piled up? Almost walked home?

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
1962 Epsom Derby... Tattenham Corner is the corner... and six horses fell in the Derby, including the favourite - the winner was 22-1 odds (Larkspur)....??

Gill Osborne

Sep 6, 2003
Alnwick, Northumberland.
Visit site
Whoops - cross posted :redface:

Well....I've learnt something there :happy:

I think we SHOULD make this a weekly quiz :smile: Perhaps post it on a Friday and give the answer on Monday or something like that - give us a couple of days to try to solve it? :smile:

Luna Corona

Sep 7, 2009
Galloway
Eventually found this about it:

"The European jockeys’ practice of ensuring racing room for themselves and their rivals may well owe much to what is by now a folk memory for many of them - the 1962 Derby, the first of Vincent O’Brien’s record seven successes in Epsom’s Blue Riband. With so much at stake, the Derby does produce an undue amount of tight riding, bumping, boring and jostling, accentuated by Epsom’s unique configurations.
Halfway down Tattenham Hill, obscured from grandstand viewers by the huge throng on the rails and also out of shot for the television and patrol cameras, it subsequently transpired that Romulus, ridden by Wally Swinburn, had clipped heels and come down. Hethersett, the favourite ridden by Harry Carr, got caught up in the faller’s legs and also came down. They were followed in rapid succession by Pindaric, Changing Times, Persian Fantasy and King Canute II. Remarkably, Pindaric proved the only fatality.
Australian Neville Sellwood could hardly believe his luck, Larkspur having jumped the fallen Romulus before running out an easy winner. Moreover, he had not even been Vincent O’Brien’s first or second choice of rider, only booked when a number of other jockeys had declined the mount for various reasons. Sadly, this genial jockey’s luck turned tragically at Maisons-Laffitte that November, when he suffered a fatal fall."

from: http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/tabId/380/itemId/4826/Old-jockeys-never-die.aspx