ok what do you lot think of this mare ?

I think she's got rather long pasterns, that might be something you need to check out if you decide to visit her. I'm not sure about the weight issue (if it is an issue!) She'd probably be fine though.

Damn ! I'm sure ive been on that yard before at some point, and its in somerset but am not sure, :) just thought she looked like a nice mare

I went to uni with her ... and I just checked facebook and her status said she had sold pickle

Shame, but there are plenty more out there!

Oh and sorry to be the bringer of bad news! Lol!

She's very sweet.
Would be interested to know why she's only been out of racing for a year if she's 7, as they generally come out of racing earlier. (I do know exceptions so this isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Chickyd, how good are you at schooling? Not being rude, I just can't remember anything about your level of riding :p The mare isn't working correctly in the oe movement pic they've put up. She certainly doesn't scream "wow" as a dressage horse. But with the correct schooling she could be nice. Any horse can be correct and accurate!

Race horses can make fantastic competition horses, a lot of them have been to so many different racing venues, heard all the helicopters, seen all the sights etc that they're great for competing as they settle easily and are less spooky. Others seem to be the opposite! Very flighty etc. I guess like most breeds it's horse dependent.

Only thing I would say, is having been to Ascot sales earlier this year, a mare like her would have gone through at about £500, maybe £750 if she'd won a bit, as a possibility of being a decent broodmare.
So be wary, and find out how long they've had her etc. Did they get her from one of the sales 2 months ago, and have just stuck a bit of training on her in the hope of making a quick return?

Ah ok, this is all useless as Pickle has been sold, good luck to the new owners!

She's very sweet.
Would be interested to know why she's only been out of racing for a year if she's 7, as they generally come out of racing earlier. (I do know exceptions so this isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Chickyd, how good are you at schooling? Not being rude, I just can't remember anything about your level of riding :p The mare isn't working correctly in the oe movement pic they've put up. She certainly doesn't scream "wow" as a dressage horse. But with the correct schooling she could be nice. Any horse can be correct and accurate!

Race horses can make fantastic competition horses, a lot of them have been to so many different racing venues, heard all the helicopters, seen all the sights etc that they're great for competing as they settle easily and are less spooky. Others seem to be the opposite! Very flighty etc. I guess like most breeds it's horse dependent.

Only thing I would say, is having been to Ascot sales earlier this year, a mare like her would have gone through at about £500, maybe £750 if she'd won a bit, as a possibility of being a decent broodmare.
So be wary, and find out how long they've had her etc. Did they get her from one of the sales 2 months ago, and have just stuck a bit of training on her in the hope of making a quick return?

Ah ok, this is all useless as Pickle has been sold, good luck to the new owners!

she has been sold, :( but going back to the schooling issue i have a really good dressage trainer who helps me , my schooling isnt too bad, i hope :eek::) i thought and ex racer perhaps may be good for me, can i take you shopping and viewing with me please , i didnt notice the incorrect movement :eek: that doent bode well does it lol , i schooled jasper up from scratch with the help of my trainer, hard work but enjoyable :)

She's a nice price and looks reasonably sane (not that pics tell the whole story) but (it might just be the pics) she has a strangely set on neck - by which I mean a big wither and odd dip before it. Also her legs in front look crooked and over at the knee. This could have been one to miss.. if her legs really were that shape harder work could have been a no no and leg problems ahoy!

I'm not saying that horses have to have perfect confo but why buy a potential problem .. I would be looking for the best you can afford.

i hate looking for horses i am crap at it :( i rode jasp once or twice when yo owned him, decided i had to have him and that was that, he was sound up unitl just before he died :( what am i going to do ?

Aww.. hun.. you'll find the one (I also think they find you :eek: ) don't despair.. you aren't crap at looking.. you bought Jasper didn't you! He was a lovely stamp of a horse! And as you say, sound until he died.. ((hugs))

TheG had near enough perfect conformation but was the most accident/lameness prone horse ever :rolleyes: although mostly lame through accidents and cellulitis I have to say - he was never lame through anything else.

Keep looking and keep asking but remember no matter what anyone else says it's you that's buying and the choice is yours and yours alone..

I don't mean to sound harsh when I answer your posts re potentials but I don't see any point in all in being a "yes woman" !

Aww.. hun.. you'll find the one (I also think they find you :eek: ) don't despair.. you aren't crap at looking.. you bought Jasper didn't you! He was a lovely stamp of a horse! And as you say, sound until he died.. ((hugs))

TheG had near enough perfect conformation but was the most accident/lameness prone horse ever :rolleyes: although mostly lame through accidents and cellulitis I have to say - he was never lame through anything else.

Keep looking and keep asking but remember no matter what anyone else says it's you that's buying and the choice is yours and yours alone..

I don't mean to sound harsh when I answer your posts re potentials but I don't see any point in all in being a "yes woman" !

you are not harsh, you are honest and experienced and thats what i need xxx ;)

He's a nicer horse. Would still like to see what's under that saddle (looks a little odd where saddle is sitting) though..

He looks a nicer build and type than the previous mare.. Sounds like he is straight out of racing - would you be ok with this ?

I still be knocking a bit off the price although advert advises home more important. Have you googled the tel no ?

ETA - this horse is advertised in a few places and also there are a couple of other OTTB's from this seller. She may be a trainer/work for a trainer/buy from the sales etc..this doesn't mean she isn't genuine..

Last edited:
He's a nicer horse. Would still like to see what's under that saddle (looks a little odd where saddle is sitting) though..

He looks a nicer build and type than the previous mare.. Sounds like he is straight out of racing - would you be ok with this ?

I still be knocking a bit off the price although advert advises home more important. Have you googled the tel no ?

will do that now, i actually thought saddle was far back, and rider is very chair seated on him, be nice to see what his back looks like, quite agree ;) i will google number ;)

newrider.com