ok help advice please re a 17 yr old sec c

Dawny

Jan 6, 2010
Berkshire
Think heart is ruling head!!! Fell in love with the most happy friendly, lovable looking welsh section c 17 yr old mare! 13.2hh

Should I take her home???

No muscle cover at all on body may need a little weight put on. Has been living rough this winter with little exercise only ever been a childs pony! Looked like lots of leg and no body when i first saw her!!!

For my children but I too would love to lunge and longrein and maybe drive.

Would it be the wrong thing to do to expect this of her I rode her to and she has no schooling at all!!! unless its there and not been used for a long time.
What shall I do?

I am the last person to ask.

I would say get her but only if you can afford to keep her even if she does not do what you want apart from suiting the children.

If you need her to do all the stuff you list, then what will you do with her if she can't and you can't afford her and another one who can?

Or are you in a position that you could take her and at least move her onto a better place is she doesn't work out? And how would that sit once the children love her?

If she has been a kids pony there is no reason why she can't do other stuff and if she has a nice nature and is kind, she should adapt.

Only you knows the answer to these questoins and if she is in poor nick, she should be cheap, very...but if she just has no muscle as she isn't in work, ie. completely unfit, then once she starts doing a bit she should tone up again.

If she is a good kids pony, they are hard to find, as they are worth their weight in gold if they are completely trustworthy.

Last edited:
Thought i would get a better response. I guess I have to give her a go with me and only time will tell!!!!!!!!!!! Arriving Sunday fingers crossed for me

Yes she arrived sunday and has been an angel to do in the stable and out my girls can groom her lots and lots lead her in lead her out!!! She is sooooo friendly and loving. But at the same time we are all aware we are getting to know each other!!!

However she does snatch down and my girls loose the reins for a moment or two. This is all she does and they soon regain the reins. She did do this when we tried her and I do feel we can overcome this but ideas and reassurance that i can would be much appreciated.

grass reins for a little bit so she can't reach down,you could attach them not to the bit but so a headcollar so that she can't get her head down. it's probably just a bad habit - my cob used to do that to try to eat, i rode her in a mesh bucket muzzle and she gave up doing it.

Ask EML she has plenty experience of naughty little ponies!

She may stop doing it when she puts weight on and is less hungry. What is your turnout like?diet etc. You mentioned poor condition.

My previous chap was a pig for eating and he would still snack while moving along hacking even in trot. I used the mesh noseband and he took it off in about 3 seconds.

Bad habbit from riding school my daughter managed twice to stop her and all she did was take two steps back each time. She never puts her head down for grass when we walk out or around the yard so no bad habbit there and will not start one with grazing in hand!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol! I need to longrein and see what happens but try explaining that to a keen daughter that thinks she rules the world!!!!!!!! and can ride at hickstead!!!!!!!!!! Love her enthusiasum and will not spoil it for her hickstead here we come!!!!!!!!!Lol! very keen mum I am LOL! looking forward to the carriage driving prospect I may have!!!!!When my kids give me a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your interest guys. She is still with me although teeth not good had one out a week ago owner paid. Vet gave worst case 4 years and no teeth. So on going project re dental care and special feeding. Ok no prob!!!!Decided not to purchase her but will have her on loan. (sadly) Felt shocked but she is still with me and is putting on condition. Flushing her mouth and purchased a tooth brush!! She is still an angel for my girls I love her lots. Where should I put this post so i can keep you all unp to date with Dilly (heart ruled my head) Pony!!!

poor little girl, sad that her teeth haven't been attended to. you could try Allan and Page Veteran Mix, as it is soaked, so is a nice mush, and a little of it goes a long way.....very palatable as well, and will help her weight on gently!

Hope her teeth improve now with better care. Do you really use a tooth brush?! I once spotted some at Derby House but couldn't decide if they were for real or not! I don't think my Stormy would let me do hers. Our Joe had poor teeth - vet said it was what previous owner had fed him.

Bless her, lucky girl, am pleased you have her.

Agree with a mash for her - there is also one called Slobber Mash, can't remember who it is by, but I think it is highly regarded for oldies who need condition with bad teeth.

Am in awe of the toothbrush scenario - hope Tobes NEVER loses his teeth, because he would gum me to death if he couldn't bite me if I tried brushing his teeth!!!

We have a couple of older horse with lack of teeth but feed all of ours ( young and old) on Havens Slobber Mash which is like a wet porridge.

We clean teeth using a wet sponge to pull grass and debris out of the gaps between the teeth, its quite a smelly process!! Just watch the ponies condition if they are on short grass as without front teeth they cannot eat the really short stuff, equally ours do better on haylage during the winter which they can handle better with their lips.

newrider.com