OH working odd hours?

stressy

Apr 22, 2009
sunderland
how do you cope, my Oh works odd hours (he is going to apply for another job where the hours are less odd though) but how do you cope if your OH works odd hours? tbh my Oh is my one of my best mates so going out drinking etc feels a bit odd without him.

How odd?

My OH is a chef and annoyingly works most week nights and all day and night on a saturday. He has mondays and sundays off so we try to spend as much time together as possible on those days. It can be hard though as I work monday-friday.

It's not ideal and there are times (usually when we get invited to things) when I'm frustrated but I'm fairly used to it now

My OH and I both work shifts and for the past few weeks have been on completely opposite shifts - one of us on earlies 8-4.30 and one of us on lates 1.30 to 10 or 12.30 to 9. We try to make the most of the days we DO have off together or the evenings to spedn time together, watch a DVD, go out for a meal or just chill out listening to music. It is very hard sometimes though, especially if I'm 'down' like I was on Monday, got home late from work and he was already in bed asleep so I was sat up til 3am thinking too much!

We do find we tend to go for nights out separately ie him with his male mates, me with my female mates as it's difficult to both have a night off together.

I never know when mine is going to be working or if he'll be home that night even. This is one of the reasons he is paid so well and because we don't want our daughter to go to childminders its why I don't work.

He's at work now and not due home until at least 2am.

If I didn't work then I'd have to have my ponies on part livery. School hols are a nightmare in terms of horsey time and I don't get to ride very much.

Having said that we make a big effort when we do all get time together. Our family time is precious and we always do something special as we get so little of it. Also we arrange to have 'date nights' on a fairly regular basis where it's just the 2 of us.

Life is good though because when we did both both regular hour jobs we took each other of granted. No way on earth that happens now and our relationship has never been better in all our 16 years together :dance:

I'm in a similar situation to Joyscarer in that my OH works abroad so we are apart a lot. This means the times that we are together are special times and we make an effort to do things together. Skype, mobiles etc mean that it is easy to keep in touch and up to date with what's important to each of you.

It is the boring things in life that need attention, the admin facts of running a home, getting to work on time and in suitable garb etc and that can get a bit lonely, but you play the hand you're dealt and you carry on.

I think what I mean is that where there's a will, there's a way. You want to make it work, therefore you will find a way. :wink:

newrider.com