Oh rugging again

Little Un is in a heavyweight tonight, but he's hunter clipped, the unclipped horses are all in middleweights or less.

Mattie is wearing a heavyweight with a neck. He is unclipped. Ziggy is laughing at the weather with a chaser clip and a rain sheet. Natives!

Glad I'm not in England if you guys are already that cold! Not so bad here, we've got the clipped horses in MWs and the ones who live out are naked except the two veterans who are in fleece-lined LW turnouts. The coldest we've been down to so far is 2 degrees. It's been very wet though!

I put Jess' middle weight (220g) combo on, she's not clipped but has a fine tb coat and isn't fluffy at all. She had it on for a cold night last week but I had to take it off again as she was 'toasty' under it (too me that's too warm) She wasn't cold last night but it was lashing down and verging on freezing when I did it, my phone tells me it's - 1 now, - 5 with wind chill and won't make 3c today so I'll probably leave her in it but I'll see in a minute when I check her. The only time Jess needed a hw was the couple of weeks when we hit - 17 a few years back.
ETA as mean as I feel Hank is still naked and perfectly fine, he was wet on the outside but bury my fingers under his coat and he's dry and warm :)

Last edited:
Reactions: lauren123
We have freezing, feels like minus 5, 27 mph gusts and 80% chance of heavy snow later ... wonder how @lauren123 and @Lemme are faring, they're further east than me and I think there is more snow that way - Scarborough is covered according to the weather pics on the TV.

Reactions: Jessey
I've got the heavyweights on the boys this week. I re clipped chunky on Monday anyway. They'll go back in rainsheet as soon as it warms up.
The new light weight rainsheet i put on last week has a different lining. Its still no fill, but I don't think it's as warm as his other rainsheet as I slid my hand under when it was cold the other morning and his coat felt cold to touch. At least it's waterproof although has rained since I put the new one on.

We have freezing, feels like minus 5, 27 mph gusts and 80% chance of heavy snow later ... wonder how @lauren123 and @Lemme are faring, they're further east than me and I think there is more snow that way - Scarborough is covered according to the weather pics on the TV.
Last night it said it was going to feel like -7. We had a weather warning for snow. Just started snowing here. I am about an hour away from Scarborough

We had that warning too, all we got was slushy rain followed by black ice when the temp dropped over night, I had a little sideways moment on my way to work this morning :eek:

Old fat retired boy who lives out is in a 200g with neck. Lottie is in a heavyweight and she's clipped everywhere except the front of her legs. -2 here this morning, both ponies warm enough. I do worry about my old man and really miss him being in but he seems so much happier out and hasn't dropped any weight yet.

everything frozen up this morning and roads a disaster area - daughter spent twice as long doing them - its been snowing here for the last hour and is laying - not looking forward to tonight if this keeps up - the Shetlands are Naked but fine, the rest have a rug on, Tess is upped to a medium now - winter is here

I take back my previous comments, today it dropped 8 degrees (!) from yesterday and snowed, so everything has been rugged up a gear!

newrider.com