Oh no... its nearly here..

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
The darker nights.... and mornings... and only weekend riding:(:(

Really enjoying riding 5/6 days a week now and going to get bad withdrawal symptoms when i cant:mad:

I have had such a wonderful summer riding, and an unusually long one for Ireland.......tis only 7 days since Dolly went out of action with the dog attack but I am tearing my hair out already, I don't know if I shall survive the winter at all.:(

Reactions: nat17
Well I daren't shout this out loud but compared to last year I've ridden the madam sooo much more and after the vets visit a couple of weeks back being told I could do more with her, well, I just feel so lucky! I've managed to ride every day for a long time and loving every moment of it. We don't do very much, I am building up to cantering again - how I miss it!! I know the dark nights will mean I can't ride in an evening if I want to, but I am so very very lucky to be able to work from home and squeeze one in at just about any time of the day. It is worth being a little less financially well off:D

I think the one thing I do dread is the having to fuffle about in the dark with just a torch, doing things like checking the gates are closed and having a final sweep of the yard and check around. Doesn't seem two minutes since the swallows arrived and I was closing up in daylight! This year I am going to be super organised though with extra torch batteries etc and make sure I get as much done in daylight as poss.

Meh don't remind me! I have been riding either Annie or Mouse almost every day and it's been great. Annie and I have had loads of fun out solo hacking and Mouse is coming on so nicely in the school. When it's dark by the time I finish work, I'll only be able to ride once a week, on my day off. I am considering finding a sharer for Annie to keep her going over winter.

Tobes is broken at the moment so no riding for me at the mo although i shall be able to ride friends Tb as her daughter is back to uni shortly.
Have had a fab spring and summer of riding though and it is dark now early morning - not looking forward to winter at all!

I dread the darker nights, our yard is right on the edge of the forest and it is very, very dark down there and I get quite jumpy doing them alone, hopefully this year will be better though as the owners daughter will be on site all winter. As soon as the clocks change the thieves start poking round around here too.

On the riding side, I have convinced my boss to let me take a short lunch everyday and finish early one day mid week so should get 3 hacks, plus one schooling and one lunge session per week..... Well that's the plan anyway, but I think it's more likely it will only be either a schooling or lunge session as I'll be on my own all bar one night a week so normally just try to get done and home :oops: I don't know when I turned into such a scaredy cat but ho hum

Urgh. Tell me about it. Luckily my strange hours mean I will be able to fit in getting them done in daylight every day hopefully.
There is talk of june possibly going out on loan which would be fab realistically as she would be out hunting ane competing all winter and I could concentrate on asbo cob. I had a hoody on tonight. And was still cold :(

Urgh. Tell me about it. Luckily my strange hours mean I will be able to fit in getting them done in daylight every day hopefully.
There is talk of june possibly going out on loan which would be fab realistically as she would be out hunting ane competing all winter and I could concentrate on asbo cob. I had a hoody on tonight. And was still cold :(

I have dug my hoodies out too! Wore a gilet over the top yesterday!!!

I dread the darker nights, our yard is right on the edge of the forest and it is very, very dark down there and I get quite jumpy doing them alone, hopefully this year will be better though as the owners daughter will be on site all winter. As soon as the clocks change the thieves start poking round around here too.

On the riding side, I have convinced my boss to let me take a short lunch everyday and finish early one day mid week so should get 3 hacks, plus one schooling and one lunge session per week..... Well that's the plan anyway, but I think it's more likely it will only be either a schooling or lunge session as I'll be on my own all bar one night a week so normally just try to get done and home :oops: I don't know when I turned into such a scaredy cat but ho hum

I am lucky here even tho its pitch dark and very remote I have always felt very safe. I know I live here too which helps but even so, there are no lights and it is very dark in winter. The only thing I have to watch out for is getting up close and personal with the ginger mammoths (highland cattle) who free range until they are herded up and put back onto the fell. They belong to the farmer two miles away but I have long since realised he doesn't "do" fences - you have to keep his beasts out if you don't want them!!! He's very nice in lots of other ways so I don't force the issue. Sometimes they hang around at my back door! Heheheee.

It was my horsey neighbour who freaked me out with her story of her stalker who turned flasher down there, ive since learnt she tends to exaggerate things but still its in my head now!

It was my horsey neighbour who freaked me out with her story of her stalker who turned flasher down there, ive since learnt she tends to exaggerate things but still its in my head now!

Eeeek!:eek:
Probably over egged if she has a tendency to do that anyways.

I have decided that it is going to be impossible to work five of them daily through out winter, so it is going to be Bud +2 each day so the others are every second day. I am hoping that will work. just going to have to get up early like last winter and do them before work....

I know, its depressing isn't it? I only hope its a bit drier this year. I don't mind the cold, but the non stop rain, ruined paddocks and fat bored pony really got me down last winter.

Reactions: Trewsers
We are lucky to have a floodlit school so I can carry on all through winter. It's a bit depressing though, every evening gets shorter and soon I will be driving there in the dark. Roll on Spring!

Cycling home in the dark now, but it is super warm for this time of year so I won't complain, hacked today in a t-shirt! And the ground was lovely so got to have some nice long trots on the nearly fixed pony :)

Last year ale was on boxrest but I nearly drowned a few times on my bike, I remember wading through all the flood water very well.

newrider.com