Oh no Daisy is a bubble!

Dizzy Woo

Apr 20, 2008
Dorset
After much deliberation about how to utilize my spare paddock, I spent all afternoon yesterday putting up and untangling my electric fence, and last night let my three into a patch of winter grazing about 10x20 feet maximum. This morning I get tagged on FB by field neighbour as two of them are flaked out on the ground with full belllies. Hot foot it up there to find Daisy is doing an impression of a bubble :stomp:
weight taped her and no kidding she has gone up 20kg since last saturday :stomp:
So have decided she cant even look at any winter grazing. she is to be restricted with her one slice of haylage a day in a small hole double net on a sparse paddock for the winter - it worked last year.
Has anyone ever known a pony put on so quickly? I guess alot of it is gas but her crest that lurks even when she is a good weight is pretty hard too :stomp:
Good doers are so hard to look after :stomp:

Well she's back on her normal paddock now, having a handful of chaff with vits in her bucket and half a sheet of haylage and the puffy bubbleness has already gone!
Panic over it was just gas, but I think if I hadn't nipped in the bud she would have been a permanent bubble again :wink:

Good doers are such a pain when trying to get/keep weight off!

I agree. My horse is bigger than most of the yard and i ride him everyday - yet he is the only one who gets no hard feed and only a small amount of supplementary hay. He isn't huge, but ideally he could do with being a few inches less around his girth. Some of the ponies get 2 huge feeds a day and hardly do any excerise, yet they are difficult to keep weight on.

newrider.com