*****Odd walking problem*****

minihorse

if in wrong section sorry confused at the change.....

can I ask my 2 1/2 year old mini horsexwelsh pony acts a bit strange
when walking he is fine says vet..his feet are fine says blacksmith
does not look as though in pain...
however when walks out on roads he walks with nose on ground near all
time, like hes going to go down ie..like when a horse wants to roll he puts
nose down trying to get comf. first.. dont look right but everyone says hes okay anyone had this or any advice please.:confused:

Both my two do this sometimes....it's normally when they go places that are new....I always put it down to them seeing who and what has been there before them. They will walk along like this for ages...almost like a dog sniffing the floor. I dont' see it as anything to worry about....once they get used going out or the new place they are visiting they seem to stop doing it.

How often do you walk on roads?

We lead the minix and his friend just out one end of the field accross 2 fields
then out field the road bit is a layby just short then back into field..
On the way back at layby I try to keep him on the side of grass when I do
this he gets down and rolls on grass..Thought that it was because i had rug in him but does the same when its off:confused:
None of the minis have shoes reg. trim though..cant find shoes small enough

My Welsh Section A loves rolling on concrete, especially if you have had a rug on him. Tie up outside at the end of the day and he is trying to get straight down iin the yard. He has not done it on the road yet but it has been close. Usually he is tacked up but sometimes I take him to a lane with long grass to have a treat and just use his parelli headcollar and 12ft rope and go for a non schooling walk. That is when he tries.

I think the gravelly concrete scratches him nicely in places he cant reach normally.

He also has his head straight down to any other horses poo that we go past and anything else interesting that he fancies giving a nudge, lick or nibble to test.

He is 10 and not grown out of it yet.:confused:

When I first got my shetlands one of them used to go all around the lanes like that. It was like taking a sniffer dog for a walk. He did grow out of it.

When I started introducing my 16.2hh TBx to roads, we walked out in hand and he did this too :) It really was an investigating new place thing. Horses can be trained to follow scent trails, so maybe that's what he was doing! He doesn't do it much anymore (this was a few years ago), but will occasionally have a sniff of the road if it's a new place and he feels a bit unsure.
ETA I never discouraged it, since if he was feeling really scared and in flight mode, there was no way he'd be able to keep his head below his withers - so if he was able to walk along sniffing, he was feeling adventurous and calm :)

newrider.com