Odd Encounters

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I had a slightly odd encounter today on my ride. Someone came past us in a car just as we were setting off, they kept driving towards us but eventually moved over when Shay just stood in the middle of the road as there was a youngster on the other side of the fence.
He obviously drove around again and he met us at the other end o the lane, stopped and rolled his window down, I thought he was going to ask me for directions but he asked me where I kept my horses and that he had horses himself and recently lost 2 of them and did I know anyone who wanted to buy their bridles.
It just seemed like such an odd random thing to do :unsure:

Anyone else had odd encounters with someone when out riding?

Last edited:
Not riding but I did get an offer to buy my shire mare when we where walking her in hand, this was from some bloke whowound down his window.

Most odd random encounters! No Angel - could have been perfectly harmless, but does seem a weird random thing to say / do.

I haven't had anything like that, but mainly cos we hack around private land - and not that often.

When I had my first pony the village where I kept her had an old man that used to walk around the village and was known as Irish Pete. He used to make me laugh, he was a horseman in his youth and would always try to buy my pony off me!

I would be extremely suspicious of telling anyone who asked me where I kept my horses and came out with a lame excuse like "I want to sell my dead horses' bridles". Sorry, but I'm a sceptic and always think the worst! I would assume that he was casing the joint for stealing :eek:

As I was loading Rosie one day a car screeched to a stop 100 yards up the road and this strange woman came jogging up the road to us. Turns out she was a photography student and was working on 'movement' and wanted to come take some photos of Rosie :) She did come with her daughter but my dog did her best to eat the poor child and knocked her over twice and it was all a bit stressful actually!

I think you need a 'feel' for your subject and I felt this woman just didnt get horses unfortunately. The pics were OK but I wasnt impressed but to be fair it was a really dull day. A friend who is into photography and is horse crazy has taken some really beautiful pics of Rosie, as were the professional equine phototographer's pics at an organised ride.

On our ride yesterday we had to pass a dumped caravan with half a dead deer hanging out the door - the stewards were warning people in case horses spooked but that was a pretty strange encounter!

I would be extremely suspicious of telling anyone who asked me where I kept my horses and came out with a lame excuse like "I want to sell my dead horses' bridles". Sorry, but I'm a sceptic and always think the worst! I would assume that he was casing the joint for stealing :eek:

Call me an old cynic but that thought also crossed my mind - not that I want to worry NA

Toby once attracted interest from some mad chinese tourists when my RI hacked him out. They all wanted pictures with him and RI let them take them which i was NOT happy about (unless it's family or professional at a show, i don't allow people to photograph my horses).

Never tell anyone anything, i'm always deeply suspicious!

I had a slightly odd encounter today on my ride. Someone came past us in a car just as we were setting off, they kept driving towards us but eventually moved over when Shay just stood in the middle of the road as there was a youngster on the other side of the fence.
He obviously drove around again and he met us at the other end o the lane, stopped and rolled his window down, I thought he was going to ask me for directions but he asked me where I kept my horses and that he had horses himself and recently lost 2 of them and did I know anyone who wanted to buy their bridles.
It just seemed like such an odd random thing to do :unsure:

Anyone else had odd encounters with someone when out riding?

Be careful make sure you lock up your tack!

What with riding an Exmoor mare, bitless, barefoot and with a pink treeless saddle, I have got used to people wanting to stop and chat (we have even attended a complete stranger's barbecue!) - but the best was ...

Riding Frayne down a fairly busy local road, a coach came round the corner - driver stopped and waved for me to stop. On board was about 40 elderly people. They were on a coach holiday travelling about looking at wildlife/birds etc. Had been on Exmoor the previous 2 days and hadn't seen any of the ponies, and then come to Pembrokeshire and they see me and Frayne!!

Frayne loves any opportunity to be admired - and they took lots of photos before heading off to look for seals at a local beach.

Ali xx

We had a man wind down his window and ask if we wanted to buy some western saddles that he brough back from the US. We thought that was strange!

newrider.com