Objecting to stable rug/general bad manners?

Frosty

Jan 9, 2003
Machynlleth
Visit site
Hello,
I've only had my loan pony a few weeks so I realise that everything is still a bit new to him (and me) and he will still be settling in. However, he's started to get really grumpy about being rugged - usually when I'm trying to put on his stable rug (he's not so bad with his turnout). Where he lived before he was very rarely rugged (and lived out) but as he's getting on a bit (20) and is now living quite a bit higher up his owner suggested I start rugging him. He is now out during the daylight hours and stabled at night. He was fine to begin with but now he's putting his ears back and kicking out. I've always been very gentle and put his rug on carefully so as not to startle him and he gets an "Oi you!" when he kicks out. I've ridden him for about 5 years and have worked with him in the stable (grooming, feeding etc) so we are not totally new to each other. However he is my first horse and I think he is now 'testing' me and being a bit ill mannered. He's a bit bargy when being led and tends to try and walk off when I'm mounting. I think I need to toughen up a bit and do a lot of work on basic manners - does anyone have any suggestions of where to start? I'm feeling particularly useless at the moment as I've been trying my best for him but get the distinct impression that he thinks he is in charge! I am far too soft natured but do realise that I need to sort this out. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks,
Frosty

hello, there some ideas here for groudnwork

walking off when mounting...

http://irishnhsociety.proboards41.c...linformation&action=display&thread=1196770976

leading...

http://irishnhsociety.proboards41.c...linformation&action=display&thread=1193911168

other stuff..

http://irishnhsociety.proboards41.com/index.cgi?board=usefulinformation

The basic idea is that you set up boundaries, and you are the leader/boss. if your horse over steps, you need to nicely let him know, and then when he gets it right, you tell him that too. The balance is probbaly easier to explain if I was standing beside you & your horse :) see how you get on with the above, its all very doable by the way :) and maybe think about getting a lesson just for this groudnwork - there are www.intelligenthorsemanship.com 'RA's (instructors) around UK who teach this kind of thing and will come out to your home for a lesson, if you'd like someone to show you in person.

Best of luck :)

Last edited:
Hi Frosty (feels weird for me to say that - my horse is called Frosty!!)

The book Perfect Manners by Kelly Marks is really good - teaches you the basics on getting the message across to your horse that he shouldn't be bargy or bad mannered. It gives tips on how you should behave so that your horse behaves nicely.

Sounds like he's just testing you from what you say though. As long as you remain consistant in your reactions it should sort itself out.

The main thing to remember is to keep your body language non-agressive and avoid eye contact ....... until he invades your space - then you make yourself big, square up your shoulders and look him directly in the eye. Horse language for "get outta my space".

You'll soon have him sorted :)

silly question but could he just be too warm and telling you i don;t need/want this rug - if Rosie is too hot,she will nibble when i put the rug on to say no thanks.

yep - they're not daft and if they are too warm this is the only way they can experss it. also the buckles can rub, and they can be sore onthe withers. when rug s off, give him a good feel around the chest and wither,s and see if he is tender anywhere.
i'd try him rugless again for a bit, as it's what he is used to, and see what happens. he may not be feeling his age yet!

Thanks for your replies:) I'll try the groundwork ideas - they look really useful. I've been thinking it would be nice to do stuff other than 'horse care' and riding - maybe it'll help us bond a bit. Ah - I have some Kelly Marks books on my Amazon wish list - hopefully OH will get me one for Christmas! I'm quickly realising that I really need to work on the relationship side of things - being only a 'rider' up to now I've only really got books about riding. I know he doesn't think of me as the 'boss' yet - hopefully I'll be able to change that. I'm not the most forceful person so I'll have to convince myself I'm the boss before I convince him!

Big Ears - I did wonder if he maybe just didn't want his stable rug on and have considered leaving it off. He's stabled in a large barn with doors, 3 other horses and some cows so I don't think it's terribly cold at night. Maybe he's too hot? He's not sweaty when I take the rug off. Would it be ok to be rugged for going outside but not at night indoors? His outside rug is medium weight and is more to keep him dry and help him keep weight on than anything else. Maybe I'll leave his rug off tonight if it's not too cold and see how he is in the morning.

Meanwhile I'll get started on the groundwork!

PS I used to ride a pony called Frosty when I was about 13! I loved him to bits.

newrider.com