NVQ Level 2 - riding exam

when i did mine a million years ago we rode two horses on the flat, and one jumping - so your mare may be Ok for some of it, but we all had to swap round.
it's so long ago that i've forgotten what ws in my two and what was in the three, but i am pretty sure you do go stirrupless for both in all three paces.

I did it a long long long time ago but if I remember correctly I had to walk, trot, canter with and without stirrups, also in light seat and over a grid and a course (very small though, I think max is 2'6), you have to demonstraight all changes of rein, leg yield (don't think shoulder-in?!) mounting and dismounting.
I didn't get to choose the horses I rode in the exam, I think I rode three different horses and they were choosen for me.
It may be completely different these days though!!
Good luck.:)

I'm doing this in the summer and want to know exactly what is involved?

eg. you have to ride without stirrups, is that including canter?
and what schooling movements do they expect?

my reason for asking is i have an incredibly sharp, flighty TB mare and i really want to ride her in it, but am thinking maybe i should choose a ploddy riding school pony instead?

am having my riding assessed in two weeks to set a date for the exam and am DREADING IT!!!!!!

(ftr this is for schooling and jumping option)

Don't pick anything to ploddy or you will spend all the exam time trying to get the thing going instead of showing off your riding techniques.:) As far as I know NVQ 2 riding is very similar to BHS stage two.

Yes it is virtually the same as Stage 2. You will have to ride a variety of horses, usually the external verifier will attend at some point and you will ride several horses thought suitable for the level. NVQ is a professional exam which should not be assesed on your riding of your own horse.

You will need to ride at least two horses on the flat and show walk, trot and canter without stirrups. school figures including serpentines, riding with reins in one hand. You will normally jump a grid and then a course of show jumps of about 2'6.

Remember NVQ is an ongoing thing, you won't be assessed just on a one off basis but on continuing performance.

hey,

I did my NVQ 2 about a year ago and it really is not as bad as u think.

the riding brief is ride a schooled horse in an enclosed area, which was explained to me as you have to ride a bombproof cob!!!

when i did mine i was so nervous but all they are looking for is that you have your position and you can ride your horse safely and forward, so make sure you have a lazy one or you will be kicking away the whole way through! remember safety and you will breeze through it.

Most of the time your in a ride and canter 1 at a time to the back of the ride doing a 20m circle at 1 end, which is a breeze.

you do have to do work with no stirrups in trot and canter, but the canter part isnt long, you just have to demonstrate your balance and control of the horse through the transitions.

most of the marks are safety so remember to be aware of others in the school with u.

u normally do no stirrup work on the second horse, i was like u didnt want anything to go bombing of without my stirrups!!! lol.

Just before i went in, we were warming up and the horse i was on out of nowhere did a huge buck and nearly had me off! i was so angry lol, and then thinking oh god how am i going to get through this. But luckily the examiner was pretty down to earth and passed me even though my horse was on 1 and was doing flying changes and bucking only 5 mins in lol.

i hope u do well and let us all know... if you need anymore advise PM me i ahve my folder here lol.

xxx

i did my level 2 bout 5 years ago, had to ride 2 horses on the flat (no stirrups in 3 paces) & do a course of 6 jumps at 2'6" on 2 different horses. we had loads of mock exams before we did it from bout 2 months before so we knew what to expect tho. weren't too bad at all. i was the weakest rider of the lot in my lesson & i passed so don't worry!!

At our yard the students were assessed in flat and jumping separately. This was about a year ago.

The verifier would watch and brief the instructor. The instructor did not actually teach on the day but commanded the movements.

You can choose the two horses you ride, although there are often arguments about this, but the verifier will take into account the horses personality and how you deal with it.

Our NVQ2 was much the same as Eml mentioned.

The horses are expected to be upto the standard or above.

newrider.com