Nungar Knots Hackamore

Kadi

May 23, 2006
Norfolk/Suffolk border
Posted this in tack and saddlery then thought NH might be more appropriate.

Anyone out there got one of these or other rope hackamores?

Are the reins and lead removable?

Comments much appreciated as thinking of getting one for DP.

xxx

Do you mean the mecate rein combo? In which case yes, I use rope hackamores like this, but not from Nungar knots. The good quality ones are all pretty much the same though. The reins and lead are simply about 20 ft of rope tied up to give you reins and a lead rope, so they can be removed or altered if you need a different length of rein. Just make sure you've got the knot fixed in your brain first though. ;)
Only thing to bear in mind when using this sort of rope tack is that it has no break points... so don't let your horse get his head down while wearing it in case he puts a leg through the rein, stuff like that.

I use a PNH natural hackamore all the time on Beau because he detests any type of bit in his mouth.

Like CF mentions, the lead rope and reins are all in one, I make a safety chain with the lead rope (that's looped to a piece of twine attached to the D ring) which easily comes undone if pulled.

The rope can be removed from the halter - I think the knot could be a bit tricky to re-do though, so I doubt if I'll ever try to dismantle mine. :eek:

Hi Kadi
We make, sell and more importantly use rope hackamores on our horses. Crystal fire and india have covered the main safety points very well.

Nungar are a good quality aussie maker using good quality rope :0)

The 'scary' knot is easily mastered, this traditional wrap & tie method originally came from leather braided bosal hackamores and was designed to allow weight adjustment to get the bosal hanging in a pressure neutral position and to allow the leather bosal to be shaped/sized for the individual horse. Both of these functions are also important with the rope hackamore. if the headstall nose opening is a little large, you simply added an extra wrap of the leadrope above the fiador knot, this will reduce the nose opening size and also reduce the overall length. removing one wrap will enlarge the sizing.

There are several methods of attaching the 22ft mecate rein to the headstall, we tie them using the parelli method or the same method we use on leather bosal hackamores (it does the same thing but we prefer it as we were shown this way before Parelli had his first pony...lol) The long 22ft rein is tied to give you a single loop rein of about 9ft and a 12ft lead rope, the knot uses up the extra foot.

We are often asked what is the difference between a standard rope halter and a rope hackamore halter????, ...The rope hackamore headstall is the same as a rope halter except it has an extra 4" of length in the chin and gullet pieces to make room for the mecate rein to be tied in place above the fiador knot. This prevents the rope headstall being used as a regular training halter without the mecate attached.

Rope hackamores are not cheap, i think the one we sent to the UK last week worked out about 24 quid plus shipping, but they will last a lifetime with little or no maintenance.
If you already have a well fitting rope halter, you can always simply add a 22ft mecate rein that will also then double as a 22ft training lead..
email us if you would like pics and info on how to tie a mecate to a standard rope halter...glad to help out. info@lodgeropes.com

attached are close up pics of a traditional hackamore knot on a beige and brown & zig zag combos we did recently.

Starting to sound like an advert now... but as i said earlier, glad to share any info we have or provide help if needed (at no charge of course), we do have a little more general info and history on rope hackamores on our farms website
http://www.lodgeropes.com
Just click on hackamores in the homepage menu.

cheers from Downunder

Attachments

• BoBHack1.jpg
    BoBHack1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 3
  • zzHack2.jpg
    zzHack2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Crystal Fire & india - Thanks very much for the feedback.

LodgeRopes - Excellent web site, very informative!:)
Will email regarding my requirements and shipping costs.
Will probably get a custom tied one as DP either a large pony or a small cob so need one somewhere between the two sizes, usually find that pony things are a bit snug and cob sizes rather roomy.

xxx

Kadi...no worries :0)
Just remembered that a forum member posted a great pic of the hackamore leadrope slip knot chain linked from a D Ring on the saddle. It is a clever method of keeping the rope out of the way but makes it easy to take hold of the rope and it un ravels as you step out of the saddle. A perfect 'get down' rope as my mates in the US would say.

Does anyone remember the pic????

cheers
Rob

newrider.com