Numpty travelling question

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Hi all,

I have my horse, I have my trailer, I have practised driving the trailer and am fairly confident (reversing is interesting but am getting it) loading is easy (she's such a good girl) but comes off the trailer quite excited, so my question, I want to take her out for a ride around our local water park (got my riders permit) so I know I need boots or bandages and hay net, water etc, but do I travel her in a head collar and tack her up there? I wouldn't want to put her saddle on to travel obviously but can you bridle and put head collar over the top? Sorry if this is a really dumb question but am a little bit worried that when we get there it will all be a little bit too exciting for her and I just have worries that when I go to bridle her she might leg it off round the park by herself. Any tips and advice would be much appreciated from all you seasoned travellers.
Thanks for reading.

A lot of people on my yard travel their horses bridled with head collar on and the saddle on too.

I however don't and wouldnt. I allow more time at arrival to tack up. I also don't use travel boots, I just travel in her exercise boots.

I am no expert, but a quick release item that would snap to tie up to. I now never use twine. I know there are various types on the market now.
I only travel with a leather head collar. I don't use anything else. I may change to the halter and line to unload.

We always used to travel tacked up, reins in the throatlash tight, and a headcollar on over the top.

I haven't travelled tacked up but for a less than 20 min journey I would, as Wally describes, or I would just travel with the headcollar on (only ever leather or breakable in the trailer !) and put the bridle on before I unloaded if the horse was a bit excited. Fortunately all of mine in the past have unloaded interested and curious but never to excited to not be able to tack them up calmly.

newrider.com