Numpties on the radio (BBC 2) not O/T

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
Since friday the Jeremy Vine show has had a 'competition' of sorts for listeners to vote which vehicle they would like to get off the roads for good.

At the top of the board so far it's horses and horse boxes ! :rolleyes:

I'll be listening at 12 (show goes from 12-2) and will be ready to bombard the inbox with emails of protest and also to be vocal about our right to be on the road as well as everyone else. :mad:

Anyone care to join me ? :D

:rolleyes: Horses were on the roads first! :mad:

Although... I vote for cyclists even in cycle lanes, I'm convinced one will wobble in front of my car, and also looking over your shoulder is NOT the same as indicating, one chap was very lucky I second guessed him or he would have been mush!:mad:

I do think in light of this we should all make a conserted effort to extra polite when riding on the road!:D

Sad thing is you might as well say you wanted to vote pedestrians off the road! Horseboxes, okay, they are classed as motor transport, ....but a horse drawn float has an absolute right in law to pass and repass on the highway, and I'm sure they'd prefer the faster motorised version over the horse drawn one! :D :D

....hang on I've got a white van I tow the horse trailer with! :D :D

It's just what we're always going to get. People nowadays on the road have no patience, it's always *got to get from a to b and got to get there as fast as possible*. The majority have no patience to take the time to pass horses safely and we are just seen as holding them up etc. In reality it would hardly put much time on their journey! There are far too many cars on the road and too many roads encroaching on what was countryside. People have to stop being so selfish and realise that most riders have *no* option but to ride on the roads. It's not like we want to, by all means most riders do everything they can to minimise road work!

that's it, i'll be boycotting his show from now on. I'd seen the competition advertised on the tv, but don't always catch his show. jeremy clarkson is just as bad. his opinion of caravans and horseboxes is deplorable :mad:

Cyclists AND...

The idiot who drove about 3 foot away from my bumper, on a dark twisty road, the speed limit was 50 and I was doing about 60 there was no where I could pull over and he kept putting his lights on full beam, then when we got over the round about we had to go down a steep hill, single file on our side, duel carridge way the other side, he over took on the wrong side over the road over solid white lines me AND a hay lorry....

Grrrrrrr RANT OVER

(Poor Wally, the bain of EVERYONES lives!) x

Jeremy Clarkson's wife keeps horses and has a classic ex swiss army Landy Defender for the job of towing, so she doesnt break any speed limits I'd say... He did a full article in the Sunday Times on the defender a few months ago.

I think his tongue is welded to his cheek by now!

Actually I suspect she may peruse this website, as the article appeared shortly after the very same topic was discussed in depth on NR

I encounter far more cyclists than horses on the road and often with no lights, riding 2 abreast etc. far more dangerous and inconvenient if you ask me :D

Jeremy Clarkson however is a legend, sorry but he is hilarious and I don't think you're meant to take him seriously ;) Though I do agree with him.. caravans, busses, doddery old dears pottering everywhere at 20mph... some of us have places to be! ;) :D

He seems to think the fact Horses have been included is a bit silly, (me thinks his family possibley has horses ? ;) ) so JV is quite comical when he talks about it. Jeremy Clarkson is just a overpaid t*sser ... much like all footballers :rolleyes:

But yes he does have moments when he is funny :eek:

i've just been on the jeremy vine site, and if you read the 'have your say' section for thursday last week it's when this topic was launched. there's no mention of horses. People's venom seems to be directed at farm traffic and the chealsea tractors, or teenage boys on mopeds. not a mention of horses.....

With record congestion, dangerous driving and the second highest rate of road rage in the world, there’s no doubt we are a nation of angry motorists. But which vehicle is most to blame?
this is the tag line for the vote on the site. i hardly think it fair to include horses. infact i don't think any VEHICLE is to blame. it's the idiots the DVLA give the licences to. train the drivers better and stop blaming the vehicles!!

Last edited:
Horseboxes actually hasn't been mentioned in the list. Jeremy Vine is also sounding rather bemused that horses have been voted into the top eight.

The top eight voted to be banned from roads are:
Lorries
Caravans
White vans
Horses
Bicycles
Motorbikes
4x4s
Tractors

Obviously all of these are perfectly entitled to use roads, it's just that some of them irritate drivers. I'm sure "any other traffic at all" is also considering irritating by many people!

PS I love Jeremy Clarkson! Was PMSL watching Top Gear yesterday :D

Far more dangerous than horses are some of the total d--kheads allowed to drive on the roads :rolleyes:

Hackin Alps at the weekend and he started to nap, spun round and started broncing backwards into the road... car came up could clearly see what was happening from miles away and SQUEEZED past behind us with inches to spare :eek: *$%#!!. I was furious, mostly because I am SO conscious of traffic and will always pull him out of the road up a driveway or onto the verge so they can pass, I appreciate if he is playing up it's MY problem and therefore ensure he is safely out of their way and they can pass as soon as possible....and if they had waited 2 SECONDS I would have done so. I almost wish he had kicked their windscreen in as I thought he was going to.. closely followed by me kicking the dizzy b*tches teeth in if she'd dared complain about it.

And people wonder why women drivers get a bad name! :mad:

I must admit tho! I have been stuck behind horse lorries that have been chucking so much chog out Its been disgusting, shame on you if anyones lorries are like that! Its usually the ones that sit for lengths of time and dont get started up and ticked over..

I think thats probabley the ones people have the images of..rather then a big flash box ( no smoking!)

It angers me to see any car like that not just horse boxes, I am just thinking of the enviroment which some people dont seem to!

Yes Yes I may have a 4x4, however it IS well maintained! doesent smoke and I need one due to my location ( side of fells!) I dont just use it on the ' school run'

Top gears great I agree!!! I love the one when they went caravanning, and also when they made the espace into a cabriolet ( can be seen on you tube to!) classic TV!

The top eight voted to be banned from roads are:
Lorries
Caravans
White vans
Horses
Bicycles
Motorbikes
4x4s
Tractors

Right, lets get rid of the lorries. We wont be able to get any food or anything as they wont be restocking our shops, but who cares.

We can get rid of the caravans, bye bye weekend pootlers. ;)

White van drivers might be our plumbers, electricians and so on, but what do we need them for?

Obviously horses cr*p all over the place, so we can't be having that.

Cyclists must be tree hugging hippies - i mean, for the sake of a little ozone layer damage, why knacker yourself out?

Motorbikes are just too noisy. We can't have that. And they can overtake when we can't, and are easier to park. Just no.

4x4's - all selfish chelsea tractor drivers should think about the consequences of their actions. That beast could kill a child, they should be banned.

Tractors - we'll get all our food from overseas, transported on mopeds. It's ok, we don't care about organic, British grown food.

For anybody that may have been offended - that was all tongue in cheek. I am however, far too lazy to cycle, when I can get a bus. :p

I'll tell you what I think should be banned... silly suped up feckin Glanzas and the like. I've no problem with petrolheads, I've a major problem with 17 year olds, with more money than sense driving around in small cars with neither the handling capability nor the safety features to cope with the modified engines and their drivers' testosterone.

So many young men are dying in Ireland with this culture. Hacking on the roads around my family's farm is now a no-no as they *will* try and wind up the horse, and their cars are incredibly noisy.

newrider.com