Nudging my boot

Holly

Jan 4, 2015
Each time I ride my 5yo mare she goes absolutely brilliantly but when I stop her, more times than not she bends her neck round and touches her nose to the end of my boot. There's no other body language to back it up so sign of irritation or aggression she just touches it then turns her head forwards again as if it never happened. It is always my right boot. I have changed her girth, and even changed the length of my stirrups, I do not wear spurs just normal long leather riding boots and she still does it. We recently got a new saddle and bridle and she still does it? Help?

I used to ride a riding school horse that did this. He'd do it just after I mounted and sometimes when we paused in a lesson. Always to the same side as well. I used to think he was licking my boot for something but no, just touching. I never worked out why I'm afraid so would be fascinated to hear other people's ideas too! Not very helpful I'm afraid but you're not alone;):D

Reactions: Holly
I believe some Western horses are trained to do this - To flex them and they do it if you ask. I have done it both in the USA and here.

So if you inadvertently put a little more pressure on the right rein but held the body and feet of the horse immobile, it might construe that as a request to touch its nose to you boot. I was once asked to do this in a rare lesson on my share horse with a visiting RI who also taught NH groundwork - the lesson was on how to open and shut gates, and once we had opened and closed the gates it was followed by a more formal revision of turns, in the school, including the nose to boot thing.
I havent my Parelli book to hand but you may find it there. Maisie will do it if asked - but obviously a horse cant do it if you are maintaining contact with the outside rein, as it needs a lot of rein free to turn its head.

As I remember from my visit to Newforest, her mare has also been taught to do this. I can see it would be disconcerting if you aren't expecting it though!

I used to ride a schoolie that ate my boot every lesson!lol he was a character, he'd bend his head round and get the toe part in his mouth! Heheheee.

newrider.com