Not turning your horse out till 3.30pm

Im maybes mean but I wouldn't turn out unless genuine reason, only because then if shes the type who would take the mick are you expected to bring in too, if so you would need to do hay, water at the least. I would maybes friendily suggest she gives extra hay or arranges someone to pop some over the as the horse is stressed when stood waiting. As Joosie said sadly there are worse things that can happen than been stood in and in this case it could be instantly improved with a few slices of hay/water. The other reason is she will never admit her horse is too much of a commitment for her unless she has to do the mundane things we all have to do IMO. If the horse was stood in ankle deep dirt with no feed then that would be different but if it isn't then I wouldn't get too involved.x

Last edited:
Reactions: MrA
If it is normal for between 9.00am and 10.00am and the last couple of days have been an exception, is it likely there is a personal issue that is causing a problem for them with normal routine, maybe worth asking if everything is okay, you had noticed that routine had changed and if there is a problem maybe offer some assistance if your down anyway till sorted - sometimes things are not always as they seem!

Reactions: Trewsers
If someone took it upon themselves to turn out my horse I would be mad.

I would also be mad if my horse was on a restricted diet and people were feeding him.

Think about it from your own horses. You want your horses out on a bare paddock with a net of hay. Someone comes along and thinks it's cruel looking and chucks them in a grassy field or throws more hay into them. You would be livid. Those people would be judging you behind your back exactly how you are doing just now.

I don't particularly like the way some people manage their horses but it's not MY responsibility, no matter how heart wrenching, to get involved. Meddling will only get your nose cut off and you left either the numpty or the bad guy. Been there done it and learned my lesson.

Reactions: tikkitti and Lemme
I have to agree with MrC I wouldn't however tempting do anything unless asked. If I were on a livery I wouldnt go in any one else stable without their permission, the exception being if the horse was injured and couldn't contact owner/ Yo. It must be really hard for you but unfortunately people can be really strange:) and unless the owner wants help/ asks for it I'd just casually mention the horse is a little stressed but then whether she asks for help or not is her call, I'm afraid. I'm guessing the horse is in good condition? Sadly its the same with all animals even children, some are looked after better than others, its sad but so very true.x

Remember she has asked me to turn out, don't see wht I should because she is too lazy, I know iy is nothing else

Reactions: tikkitti
I don't have time to run round turning out for her and don't see why I should, yes I feel bad for them but she's in the wrong not me. Still no sign.

Reactions: tikkitti
Hi Ale, I really feel for you.x It makes us realise how lucky our horses are, even if mine wasn't particularly grateful last night.x

You don't have to. It's you that keeps posting about them so I assume it is stressing you out. Well turning them out is a solution to that! She has asked for your help. You feel sorry for her horse. It's upsetting you. So if you want to help, help. If not, then you'll just have to let it go.

Reactions: Trewsers and MrC
I guess at the end of the day maybe it won't do them any harm but I'd never do it to Ale. He is used to his routine, if he had to stay in he would still be fed hay and checked early morning!

No the solution is her being responsible and going up to the yard more to make sure her horse is okay and give it food and water. And the other owner too.

I sent her a message to ask if she leaves enough hay and water to last all day, but she hasn't replied.

I don't think it's really your place to tell someone about their responsibilities nor to check up on her. Your 'solution' of her being more responsible is not within your control so it isn't a solution at all. It may make you feel better to hassle her, but seems unlikely to address the issue. Only actually helping the horses out will change their situation. As the farmer won't do anything, the owner seems not bothered and it is not a cruelty issue that you can report, all you can do is accept it and let it go, or offer to help. Of course there is no reason why you should. But then you need to stop fretting and stressing about it, imo.

Reactions: MrC
Ale, I know that you have the horses interests at heart, but slagging off the owner on a public forum really isn't the right thing to do. How do you think she would feel if she were to read this? You have made huge assumptions about her being 'lazy' but you do not know this for sure. Not everyone posts about every second of their life on facebook and it sounds to me as if there may be a good reason why she cannot attend to her horse in the morning. If you are really concerned about her or her horse then try to find a way to help her. I'm sorry to say this but what you have written on here is really quite nasty.

Reactions: Flipo's Mum and MrC
Fair enough, I just lost my temper with her doing this that is all. I completely 1000% know there is no reason for her not to be at the yard early, she used to work here and start at 8am. Sorry but she has annoyed me and I wanted to vent somewhere. If yoi think I'm nasty so be it

And she posts about every single second of her life on fb and tells me about it even though I never reply to her

I don't think it's really your place to tell someone about their responsibilities nor to check up on her. Your 'solution' of her being more responsible is not within your control so it isn't a solution at all. It may make you feel better to hassle her, but seems unlikely to address the issue. Only actually helping the horses out will change their situation. As the farmer won't do anything, the owner seems not bothered and it is not a cruelty issue that you can report, all you can do is accept it and let it go, or offer to help. Of course there is no reason why you should. But then you need to stop fretting and stressing about it, imo.

Okay :(

Ive become a lot more conscious of what I post on here since the removal of subscriptions. Have to echo MP's thoughts and add that I think it says more about you by posting this and slighting someone else than the other person because sadly we don't have enough info to go on to judge them, just your perception on the situation. You've spoken about having issues socially before and not having folk to hack out with, spend time with. Maybe it's sometimes best to bite your tongue and keep the peace to get on with folk.

I don;t think it's right and I am sure it's upsetting for you to see them stuck in without hay for hours on end. But there is a big difference between being a bit crap and being cruel. Fully stabled horses often finish nets quite quickly and may go for many many hours stood doing nothing. I don;t approve of that either but it's not a cruelty issue. When Cally and Zak were on that awful yard they weren't allowed out on competition days- of which there were many. At first they were only getting 2 nets a day which they finished within an hour or so! That meant being stabled for up to 22 hours with no hay. I was appalled when I realised and I insisted on adlib hay in double small holed nets.

If it were me, I would offer to turn them out every day for the owner. Next times she texted and said, oops overslept I'd just say 'Look I';m there anyway, would you like me to turn them out for you?'.. I wouldn't worry about being taken advantage of as I would know I was doing it for the horses.

I'm like that too - I'd probably end up turning them out if she asked me, cos I'd feel sorry for them.

Yes I have no friends, but its not because I'm outspoken, completely the opposite. Just in this case it bothers me as I feel like her horse might be suffering

newrider.com