Not turning your horse out till 3.30pm

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Anyone else think this is terrible...

Horse usually goes out between 9 and 10 but sometimes owner can't be bothered and today she is still in at half 3, I know for a fact no one has been up to see her, she has a straw bed that she can eat but I doubt any hay left.

Yes so many places here horses don't get much outside time.Tha'ts why I am so thnakful
mine are at home to have an in and out situation.
When Andi was at a couple places for training the outside time was not much.
The worse was when I got off at 3 and went over and she was in ALREADY-- weLL a friend and I were going to go on a trail ride when I was off on
Wed's AND we would get there with her horse and to Get
Andi to go for a trail ride and She is in THEY ALL WERE IN
so I say why is everyone in -- oh it might rain == ha wa ITS BEAUTIFUL OUT if it was going to rain
we would not be going on a trail ride (i am not an idiot).
All the time I was lead to believe they were already in when I got there after work --they were never out.
And sadly I think it was even worse the place was not open on Sunday and no one was allowed there on sunday-- People that work SUNDAY is a prime riding day!! but chain was up on driveway
and no one allowed in!!!
LOOKING BACK I do wonder if they even got fed on Sundays I know the stall was not cleaned cause when I got there early one Monday the mess in the stall was clearly not one day!
Andi and I did some great fun shows there and drilll team and lots of fun stuff and she sid not mind being in a STALLI was there EVERY DAY but she did totally like people much more who just warehoused the horses there and just send the check and never came.
My stall usually looked pretty good cause they KNEW I WAS COMING!! others not so much.
Sad that things like that take place

I think its wrong to keep that horse in until 3.30 if it is used to being put out at 10am. If there is no health reason and definitely no other reason such as taking precautions against lami? Then definitely not good enough. Specially if there was no hay net given and presume no company left in the barn? Can you find out for sure? I would mention to YO or grooms that work there. We had a similar situ and I did mention to a member of staff once I was sure it was not for health reasons / waiting on vet appointment etc. it happened more than once so I felt justified.

Its a very small yard with just two liveries. I know one of the girls and she is constantly on fb, I work directly opposite where the horses are kept. I can easily see when they are still in and the person I know messaged me at half 3 asking if I would turn them out.

Yeah if its just laziness then its wrong. Of course there sometimes mix ups on yards - eg if you think the staff are going to turnout for you - or illness which can result in a delay. Seems awfully mean on the poor horse getting left tho.

I refused to turn them out because I know it is just laziness, yes I feel terribly sorry for the horse but if I do it once then ill be doing it forever, I would have to be basically dying for ale to be left in that long, even then think I would manage somehow to get him turned out! Maybe a little late but not half 3!

God if I left sox in until half 3 he would have a right whinnie session at me when I got there! I turned him at half 9 this morning and he shouted the place down!! If its laziness then that's not on. If you know your not going to be down til half 3 then ask someone else to turn out if you cant get down.

There are far worse things you can do to a horse than leave them in their stable for a few extra hours. If it was winter and pouring with rain most of you would rather be tucking them up in bed all day than turning them out in it! My only problem with this would be the fact the horse has no hay.

Would never happen to mine. In the winter when they were in they got kicked out at 0630 every day no matter what the weather. I am pretty much the only diy that turns out regardless. At the weekends its by 0900 and man does chanter hate that.

All the livies on the yard get turned out regardless as well all by 0800.

Kia stays in or goes out depending on my life I'm afraid. I prefer him out but if it's horrid out or I can't get up later to bring him in then he stays in with hay and a full bed.

The other day when I got stuck at the hospital later than I thought he was in with only the hay he had the previous night until 2pm the manger wasn't empty. Not exactly animal abuse I'd say.

Sometimes we need to just take our noses out of other people's business and let them see to their own animals. YO is responsible for any welfare issues on their yards not the liveries.

Personally I think its really bad to suddenly change their routine and to not provide hay and perhaps no water for most of the day. Okay if its a one off due to circumstances (but at least hay should be given surely) but this is at least once a week and I know its purely not bothering.

I can't help but worry about these horses as I see them all the time and she freely messages me saying things like "whoops overslept till 1 today, off to the yard to turn out a little late today haha" and also another one "went shopping so only just got to yard (6pm) Betty not very happy with me!" Although this time maybe they were given hay in the morning I wouldnt of known. I never reply to her.

This is why I don't like like too fixed a routine as life isn't routine. Kias herd is mostly out 24/7 at present. He isn't as the grass isn't good enough yet so his routine is different from normal a d he has to deal with it.

It is nice that you care Ale and I wouldn't expect anything less from you :) But you just have to accept that not everybody is as dedicated to their horses as we are! At the end of the day, no matter how much you might disapprove with what this girl does and why she does it, it is HER horse and HER decision how to look after it (or not, as the case may be!), and, as MrC says, it's the YO who is ultimately responsible for the welfare of the horses on their yard. If it's not a cruelty case you are best staying out of it.

I think the only issue would be it not having hay, possibly water? I'm at my mums and if mine are in and I have a appointment etc, my mum pops a few slices of hay in for me. They have 2 big trugs of water so plenty for at least 24 hours. However this would only happen if I have a Hosp app, etc. In winter mine arent turned out on really wet days but they have hay to munch on due to the winter turnout paddock becoming muddy. Some horses are kept in 24/7 anyway, I think its the lack of hay which is more an issue, couldnt YO have a word, at least then the owner may give double hay to see the horse through morning or arrange for someone to pop a couple of slices over the door for her.That way regardless of if others disapprove the horse will be happy munching:)

The place Andi was at the trainer/person that ran the place took an outside job during the day and left the running of the place to one of the stable hands--
The woman was not there all day had no idea what was going on and that the horses were not getting turned out.
I had a big time eye opening when I had a weeks vacation.
I was lucky that I do not have to board out she had a nice little stall at home - when the fun shows and what AI thought I wanted for training was done - home she came.
Sadly she was a good trainer but just could not get her ducks in a row.

Same again today they are still in and haven't been seen to since 5ish last night. They look agitated. No sign of owner, YO is just a farmer who doesn't care.

I don;t think it's right and I am sure it's upsetting for you to see them stuck in without hay for hours on end. But there is a big difference between being a bit crap and being cruel. Fully stabled horses often finish nets quite quickly and may go for many many hours stood doing nothing. I don;t approve of that either but it's not a cruelty issue. When Cally and Zak were on that awful yard they weren't allowed out on competition days- of which there were many. At first they were only getting 2 nets a day which they finished within an hour or so! That meant being stabled for up to 22 hours with no hay. I was appalled when I realised and I insisted on adlib hay in double small holed nets.

If it were me, I would offer to turn them out every day for the owner. Next times she texted and said, oops overslept I'd just say 'Look I';m there anyway, would you like me to turn them out for you?'.. I wouldn't worry about being taken advantage of as I would know I was doing it for the horses.

newrider.com