Not the best day of new horse ownership so far!

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
So today Raf has managed to pull a shoe off and gash his opposite leg galloping and carrying on with his new field mate. And AJ kicked me 3 times when I was attempting to massage some cream into his dry heels - I managed it on the front foot, but the back was just a fight that he won in the end. Luckily he hit my thigh each time, which is my most substantial body part šŸ˜‚ and it didn't do any damage.

I think I'm going to have to split them up for turnout though because they just seem hell bent on injuring themselves/each other šŸ˜”

• Wow
Reactions: Trewsers
What a drag, geldings are such plonkers sometimes. Sorry about the kicks, that could be nasty - I'm glad there's no permanent damage. Lots of arnica...

Thighs might be substantial but it still hurts trust me. i found out when billys barrel went across both my thighs at once. Couldnt walk for a week.
There is a saying when working with cows and you get a back leg. The closer you are the less it hurts. Which is so true believe it or not. So i hope you were stood close enough.

Raf you're a plonker! I hope he hasn't done any serious damage @Bodshi and that you can get him to the farrier before he adds to it by smashing up the foot. Ah well, maybe it can be a loading and travelling experience for AJ too.

AJ sounds like he's got his feet under the table now and maybe needs it explaining to him that he isn't as important as he thinks he is. I hope you aren't too bruised and sore.

@chunky monkey I remember being taught that as a kid and it's so true, close enough and the worst you're likely to get is a hard shove. I wince when I see people dithering with a leg at arms length - they're worried they'll get kicked and have just put themselves in the perfect place for it to happen. Likewise if I have to handle or be near something I don't trust I stay in touch, people think I'm mad/brave but if I can't stay completely out of range, which is so much further than many think the next best option is touching. I wish this was still taught.

Tintin donkey kicks, i am always right next to him, and he kicks out backwards - donkeys are different structure, they don't have a check ligamentso they can go right back far out like a pendulum and they are lightning fast. But if you are right up close to them they can't get you.

Thanks everyone. I'm hardly sore at all really so I guess although his strikes were lightening fast he didn't put a lot of power behind them. I was also taught that it's safer to be close up but not sure if I was close enough. He kind of bumped me off balance with his quarters before kicking out I suppose, as he was being so fidgety. If I was younger and quicker I'm sure I could have caught his leg and held onto it while I rubbed the cream in. I asked OH to hold a front leg up for me - although AJ would probably have fallen over rather than give in - but OH said he wasn't prepared to risk getting hurt. This is what I miss about my old yard!

Separate paddocks this morning and seem happy with the arrangement so far.

That's interesting about donkeys @diplomaticandtactful - can they kick out to the side too?

Tintin donkey kicks, i am always right next to him, and he kicks out backwards - donkeys are different structure, they don't have a check ligamentso they can go right back far out like a pendulum and they are lightning fast. But if you are right up close to them they can't get you.
Gosh, you learn something new everyday!
Bodshi, glad your not too sore. I got kicked in the thigh and got really really hurt!

Reactions: Bodshi
My old YO's diagnosisis that he needs something to think about, so here he is doing his homework. He accepted the little rubber bit no issue and same with the roller, so he can be an angel when he feels like it. I also have to put the hosepipe on his back legs until he stops kicking, every day. Not great in a drought really. He put up a good fight yesterday but today managed to stand still quite quickly, although he was obviously hating it.

20220818_133400.jpg

Raf went to the farrier yesterday and is good as new again, so better couple of days ... for now!

I would chalk it up to just one of those days of ownership.
Hopefully you won't get many more of them, but, with babies I would expect a few more testing the waters and finding of the hooves.

How old is he again?
Yes he could be a thinker and wanting some direction with all his energy and playfulnes.
Geldings do tend to play more than mares.

I am pleased splitting has helped, it won't do them any harm to learn they don't have to be together all the time. And it doesn't have to be longterm.

He's 2 @newforest and was a colt who was 'feeling his hormones' as his breeder put it, but he was gelded before coming to me. That was a couple of months ago, so I'd expect his pesky hormones to have sodded off by now. Raf was also a colt when I went to try him but he was always an angel šŸ˜‡

And yes, part of the benefit of bringing him in for half an hour to do his work is that he's getting used to doing things on his own. On the list of things to improve on is standing tied up - he will do it but he fidgets and ports constantly.

He's 2 @newforest and was a colt who was 'feeling his hormones' as his breeder put it, but he was gelded before coming to me. That was a couple of months ago, so I'd expect his pesky hormones to have sodded off by now. Raf was also a colt when I went to try him but he was always an angel šŸ˜‡

And yes, part of the benefit of bringing him in for half an hour to do his work is that he's getting used to doing things on his own. On the list of things to improve on is standing tied up - he will do it but he fidgets and ports constantly.
It's still very early days of the bigger picture.
He's a blank canvas and you will probably realise how much an older horse understands and takes in their stride that you need to educate a baby with.
I used to bring mine in daily to do something, when I could get her in, or get her to stay put, she didn't know what being tied up was šŸ˜‚
She's was only six months older than your chap is.

newrider.com