Not sure where this should go

Billy

Jan 26, 2006
High Wycombe
I'm in a bit of a pickle really, could do with some advice! Although, I don't think anyone can really help. lol. It's more just for me to share!

In the last year or so I've felt a bit stuck with what I've got and not sure how to remedy this. I seem to both want to sell and not sell at the same time!

I've finally worked it out! I'm bored! (combined with being very attached to her).

She's a lovely little ride but not forward going enough, or enough of a challenge for me anymore. She's 17 and probably has a lot of work left in her, her health is good but she's had these previous lameness problems which makes doing more than hacking a bit tough (and selling her probably going to be tricky). While at the same time I'm really fond of her, she's a welsh cob so a very easy keeper and we're very strongly bonded.

The biggest problem is I don't want to sell and definitely can't get another horse while I'm still a student (mum would have a heart attack if I suggested it). As always money is an issue, so can't really afford lessons or riding in other ways.

Any suggestions on how to spice up the riding with her?!

... maybe I could give her amphetamines or something to liven her up?! (kidding... sort of)

Sorry this is a ramble, I'm just anxiously watching out the window to see when it's going to rain so I can dash to the yard and put the rug back on, so I'm a bit distracted!
xxx

What about trying Trec with her?

That wouldn't be too much hard work for her legs - bit like hacking with something extra to spice it up. I am doing a training day soon as I want to try it out. Looks like fun though.

What about loaning or getting a sharer? Then freeing up your time and some money to maybe take on another horse?

If it's her nature to be laid back and pretty chilled out about life then there's not much you can do to change that, but riding wise try to keep it as varied as possible so that neither of you get bored. Obviously a little trickier if you can't do much more than hacking.... hmmm a tricky one, sorry I've not been much help!! :D

Well.... you COULD try changing her feed. Food can contribute alot to a working horse. If you want her to have more energy, you might find you have to provide it. What is she getting now? She is 17 which isn't old by any means but she may need a bit more oomph... ?

I would say set yourself a task/challenge with her, maybe try some Trec with her which would get your brains going, how about doing some NH type groundwork with her:)

I actually can relate to you on this one Billy.. I owned a tbxhano a few years ago, she was 15 when I sold her, as she was only able to be a hack, due to an injury she received as a youngster..
I bought her as a first horse when she'd just turned 13.. at the time she was perfect for me.. but as time went on, I wanted to do more things, jumping, longer hacks out, and start dressage. I started to feel that she was holding me back.. This was one thing I didn't want to happen, as I didn't want to start to resent her, when it wasn't her fault.
One of the friend's on my old yard had fell in love with her, and kept begging me to sell her to her.. I knew she'd go to a good home, so sold her.. She was still on the same yard as me, so I saw her everyday..
For her, the best thing was some one who just wanted the occasional potter around, and for her a life of leisure:)

Ooo Trec sounds fun!! Might look into that.

It's a tricky one when I'm concerned about loaning (in that I think I'll find it hard not to interfer), in many ways if I were to do anything I'd rather sell which would stop me getting involved as I wouldn't have a choice!

I also haven't had the best luck since we got her and not much chance to really do much with her, so I like the sound of giving trec a go. And it seems a waste that we've given her so much recovery time and invested a lot of vet money into her. If she stays reasonably sound of course!

xx

newrider.com