not sure whats best

lexilou

*doodles and tilly*
Apr 2, 2006
cheshire
my sec d mare is 25/26years old and still in ridden work (she thrives on it) she came with all her tack and was ridden in a dutch gag. her previous owner said she needs it as shes strong when jumping and has had it for 5/6 years. i wont be jumping her and yes she is strong but contollable.

lately when we have been hacking out she has been throwing her head about if i dont give her any head which i cant otherwise she jogs everywhere and doesnt stop! also she leans on me. im just wondering if a change in bit would help in anyway as its starting to ruin our rides. shes quite forward going and i thought maybe a grackle nose band might help her pulling so much? with it being on the poll.
can anyone give any advice on which bits best?

Have you had her teeth checked? Is there any sharp or worn areas of the bit? It seems odd that an old horse would start doing this. Grackle nosebands stop them crossing their jaws and actually might make the problem worse if the horse felt she was strapped down. My mare started tossing her head when I tried a grackle and stopped when I replaced it with a cavesson

Yep, have the teeth checked first. Old horses should have them done every 6months anyways. Head shaking is classic 'sore mouth' behaviour

Putting a strong noseband, like poppy 99 said, just masks the problem.

If her teeth are fine, try a different class of bit. If she's too strong for a 'normal' snaffle (i.e french link or single jointed) try a waterford or a kimblewick. She might prefer the actions of them.

yes she has had her teeth (and back) checked, she is quite strong so dont think a snaffle would suit so might try the waterford then. will that help with the pulling and not stoping when i want her to?

A waterford
dbwaterfordlr.jpg

is only a snaffle bit - it has no leverage, curb or poll action - your pull isn't mechanically enhanced and the pressure you put is what she feels, not multiplied 4 or 5 times like with a dutch gag. Please don't get a dutch gag (or similar) version - the pressure you can create, and with a 'harsh' mouth peice, is horrific.

The booble bits are smooth and don't cut the horses mouth but it is uncomfortable for them to lean or pull on.

It would definintly be worth trying.

A kimblewick is something else you could try (or a pelham, which has a bit more curb action and two reins, so you can use it independantly)
kimblewick-slotted-lg.jpg

But if she's not responding to the pressure you can achieve with a three-ringed snaffle (dutch gaga) then the kimblewick might not work.

That headtossing and fussing (if not due to sore teeth, which is the most likely cause) could be due to her disliking the poll and gag action a dutch gag has. SO getting something without poll action would be a good start.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks alot 'pinks lady' thats really helped. ill try her in a waterford and see how she goes. with her teeth being checked just 2months ago i know its something else bothering her so need to get to the bottom of it!
thanks again at least now i know what the bit looks like :)

newrider.com