Not feeling great - very long rant!

Sparks09

Apr 28, 2009
Hi all,

Haven't been around for a few months but had a lot on and need to have a long rant :(

Been having some problems with Storm ever since I put him on diy about six weeks ago. He was put in a field with a young ottb and an anglo arab and really doesn't get on with either of them. He always has rips in his rugs and nasty bites everywhere! I can't ever get him out of the field because everytime I put his headcollar on the other two crowd me and him in the corner and just bite and beat the s**t out of him so I end up having to let go of him and he canters around the field with his lead rope hanging down so I literally gave up trying to get him out. He started living out about two weeks ago (because I couldn't get him out!) but then I had the problem of giving him his hard feed in the morning cos he had to come out for that. So i'm buying haylage with my own money to feed these two other horses so I can get mine out of the field. The other owners take hay up for theirs but only put one pile out for their horses so Storm doesn't ever get any. The evenings have been fine as their horses were coming in and I got to actually spend some time with my horse but tonight I get up there and theirs are living out too :( The field has no grass at all and is really dusty. So had another drama tonight and storm was so unhappy. He couldn't even drink tonight without the others chasing him off. Even my farrier has commented on his bites which is really embarrasing! I have told my YO but nothing is being done. Just really fed up with the whole situation and can't even get mine out to take him for some grass. I've lost so much confidence now and don't want to do anything with mine :( I've almost come to the point of selling him or putting him out on loan as I just don't deserve him.

I injured my knee eleven weeks ago too at work which restricts what I do and have been so messed around by the NHS. I was trying to lead an unhandled colt from one stable to another and he bolted, I went flying and have suspected ligament and cartilage tear in my knee which really hurts. I went straight to a&e that day, had an xray and told to come back in ten days. Went back and they said I can leave it two weeks to see how it goes or be refered so I left it but the pain was still bad and so I went to my doctor who contacted the hospital. Waited for an appointment but then got a call to say theres a waiting list! Was in so much pain and went back to the doctors and they gave me cocodamol. Still wasn't enough and got given naproxen which gave me horrible side effects and almost passed out one evening. So couldn't take any pain relief and was non existant to the hospital so went back to a&e. Nurse moaned at me for coming back and sent me away with dihydrocodeine which still didn't do anything. Eventually got sent to a different hospital and finally had an mri on tuesday! Just waiting for results. BUT inbetween all of this my little sister gets rushed to hospital in an ambulance with a stomach problem which we still can't understand and my older one gets rushed in a week later and is diagnosed with crohn's disease. :(

If all this wasn't enough, our landlord decides he wants to sell our house and we have two months to find another. We lost our house about two years ago during the recession and so finding something is really difficult for us. So our house is all packed up, animals rehomed (apart from the dog and cat) and may not have anywhere to go if the house we've picked doesn't go thru. My boss has given my job to someone else and never even apologised for what happened with the colt. I feel horrible and sick all the time, hardly speak to my parents or sisters and just want to sleep constantly. Still in pain from my knee, can't work, can't exercise, can't ride or do anything with my poor horse because I can't get to him and have lost my confidence. He's a pure tb but he's such a safe, good boy and i've never been worried around him but I'm becoming nervous since my accident and I just feel our relationship is falling apart.

Is it just me or is this a lot of stress for a sixteen year old? :confused:

Oh you poor thing, what a lot to go through all at once! You and your family have such a lot going on at the moment it sounds really tough. I wish I could do something to help. All I can suggest is that you don't make any drastic decisions about Storm until everything else has settled down. You will get through this tough period, you will get settled in a new house and your knee will get better and then it will be time to decide what to do. You do deserve Storm, you obviously care deeply for him and it's not your fault that the other two horses are making your life so difficult. I wish I had a field I could offer you! Really hope that things get sorted for you soon, big hugs xxx

Eek, that is a LOT to be putting up with at one time! Your knee will get better and you will find another place, as for Storm try talking to the owners of the other horses in the field they are sharing and see if they will do anything differently? Good luck and hugs from me too :)

Echo the others!! Everything will settle down, your knee will get back to normal and you can enjoy your horse again!! Is there no way tou could get some leccy fencing and make him a little paddock (close to the gate so you could get him out)? Then he won't be getting bullied and you can give him your hay aswell! Explain your situation to the Y.O at the end of the day they have a duty of care to your horse!!! Hope everything sorts itself out for you! Chin up :) xx

newrider.com