Not enough energy to ride!

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Got up at 6, saw husband off to cafe, gave dogs a good long walk (1 hr 15 mins, lots of hills), brought them home and fed them, had some breakfast myself, went to the field and poo picked (45 minutes, hills), stood in the field with Ziggy for 15 minutes plucking the fur from his chest where he gets all sweaty while he dribbled on me, got back home and had a cuppa, hung washing, planted out the peas, looked at my riding boots, thought, "I just haven't got the energy!"

Anyone else in this mode? I shouldn't worry really, with the grass coming through he has enough energy for both of us...:(

ETA I was on lates at the cafe as we have a function tonight, so I started at 2 cooking for 30 people!

Last edited:
I have a day like that most weeks, I am up at 5 most days and its not uncommon for me to not get home until 8 after everything, I dont feel bad, I aim to work jess 4 days a week atm so I try to plan to ride on the better weather forcast days when I have less going on, if I get to it and I'm not feeling it i just take a rain check, its not like she minds.

I'm knackered today too......

I'm on 2 yards at the moment. Today:
Get up early to go and turn out Zak with the girls.
Feed 3 kids and get them off the school.
Drive half an hour to yard 2 and spend an hour with Cally then turn her out.
Muck out Cally
Drive back to yard 1 and muck out Zak's stable.
Home for lunch. Work for an hour
Fetch Zak from field and ride him before the girl's lesson to make sure he has stopped bucking in canter before they try and canter him. (He has!!)
Go for hospital appointment smelling of the stables (oh dear)
Get girls from school. Take them to yard for their lesson.
Watch twin 1 in lesson then be foot soldier for twin 2 on a hack.
Untack, groom. Put Zak to bed. Hay and water.
Get home 10 minutes ago.
Stare at dog feeling horribly guilty as although she has been around me all day she has not been walked yet.

Make tea while ponder whether I can persuade OH to take her out when he gets home from work.........
I did ride but only because my duty as a mother compelled me to! I'd have left it otherwise.

I often feel like that. On Sunday after I'd taken my friend to the sponsored ride, loaded, worked out how to hook up the trailer, driven her there, waited, reloaded (which took an hour!), walked the dog, fed the kids, etc etc I had a couple of hours to myself (hurrah!) and went up to the yard but just felt far too pooped to actually get on Roxy. I had a nice groom instead. TBH I am finding it really hard to find time to ride anyway as I have loads of extra freelance work on, which is great, but does eat into the small amount of riding time I actually have in the first place. Off skiing on Friday and haven't ridden since Mon and won't have time to tomorrow, so she will get 2 weeks off work! Ah well, horses are as much about the experience as the actual riding (or so I tell myself anyway!).

Reactions: Jessey
Sometimes I think I've no energy to ride but if I make the effort it seems to give me energy:) Of course there are times of extreme weariness - last time we moved house for example - but on the whole I tend to go for it and enjoy because of the fact it gives me a boost.

Suffering with bad fatigue atm, haven't ridden for 7 weeks. Partly because I'm worried about the risk to bub and mainly because after I've got there and done jobs after sorting dogs and before work I just haven't got the energy to tack him up! Never mind ride him!

I am never too tired to ride! I have a very busy life with 2 young children, a job and a big house project at the moment but if I don't ride everyday I feel sluggish and also very guilty that I haven't exercised him. Sometimes I only do about 20 minutes in the school, but I always feel less tired after.

Reactions: Trewsers
In the last 6 days I've worked 48 hours and cycled 120 miles, as well as doing all the housework and animals as parents are away and seeing to Ale twice a day and I've got up at 5 every day for weeks.

I think it also depends on what sort of horse you have, I love ale to bits but he can be a challenging ride as in hard work ;)

Wow that is a lot of hours working and cycling! Which sportive are you doing?

@Jane&Ziggy , I have been in that mode today. I usually go for a hack and do our long route on a Sunday but I just couldn't face it this morning, the weather isn't the greatest today but I've went out in worse and I know we lost an hour this morning with the clocks going forward but I think I am just in one of those no get up and go moods, no energy and no motivation. I know I'll be cross with myself later or tomorrow for missing out on my "big" hack but at the moment i just don't care:(

@Jane&Ziggy , I have been in that mode today. I usually go for a hack and do our long route on a Sunday but I just couldn't face it this morning, the weather isn't the greatest today but I've went out in worse and I know we lost an hour this morning with the clocks going forward but I think I am just in one of those no get up and go moods, no energy and no motivation. I know I'll be cross with myself later or tomorrow for missing out on my "big" hack but at the moment i just don't care:(
I feel like that today too, had my mum visiting yesterday and by the time she left the weather was crappy and having her here just knocked my routine out of kilter. Then today it's really blustery and don't have the energy to fight the wind and get soaked so am curled up on the sofa with a blanket and a cuppa :D

I feel like that today too, had my mum visiting yesterday and by the time she left the weather was crappy and having her here just knocked my routine out of kilter. Then today it's really blustery and don't have the energy to fight the wind and get soaked so am curled up on the sofa with a blanket and a cuppa :D

Thanks Jessey, it's always nice to hear someone else feels the same sometimes :)

Reactions: MrA and Jessey
Wow that is a lot of hours working and cycling! Which sportive are you doing?

I've got a 32mile off road at the end of April, then doing the 75 mile off road London to Brighton in Sept which I'm mega excited about, I've only worked 3 days out of the last 6 so I can't complain :)

I was going to ride before work this morning but I was up being ill last night so hoping one
of my sharers will ride as its Easter hols somehow don't think I will be feeling much better later after work :(

newrider.com