Nosebag?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I am meeting a friend tomorrow at a local cafe. She is driving, I am arriving on Sid.

We will sit outside and can hold him at our table (I have checked with the cafe!) but I find myself wishing I had a nosebag for him.

I won't be able to get one before tomorrow, but does anyone have one they can recommend, or can suggest a home made substitute?

I actually still have that old hessian one from the 1940's-1950's šŸ˜‚
I did a thread on it I believe.

Eta, added link to the other thread.
Somewhere.

I used a tub trug with a sports bag shoulder strap for Monkey for a while, it did the job!
IMG_3029_Original.jpeg
I did end up shortening the strap a bit once he was happy with it.

An old hessian sack with a loop of rope was what we used years ago. Iā€™ve debated ordering one more recently but there arenā€™t many options available in the uk.
You do have to teach them how to use it, and be mindful that they donā€™t inhale the feed (it has to drop far enough away from the muzzle when they have their head up so they can breathe freely)

Reactions: carthorse
I've never understood nosebags! Surely when the horse lowers it's head to eat, the nosebag also lowers and moves the food further away from the horse. I mean they must work because they are a thing, but I just don't get it šŸ˜‚

Reactions: Jessey
They are sold still as "bucket feeders" or even "bucket slow feeders". I also don't quite get how having your nose stuck in your food makes it a slow feeder...

Reactions: Jessey
I've never understood nosebags! Surely when the horse lowers it's head to eat, the nosebag also lowers and moves the food further away from the horse. I mean they must work because they are a thing, but I just don't get it šŸ˜‚
They might be able to eat some with their head up but as it gets lower they put it on the ground to get a mouthful, then it moves away when they lift their head while they chew. If set high enough they can eat it all you risk aspiration pneumonia if they inhale particles.

There are another sort which go back more under the neck so as they raise their head the feed slides back out of the way, then when they lower slightly it trickles down under their nose.

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com