nose bands??

jackie keyte

Aug 23, 2015
orpington kent
just removed my noseband and flash, didn't find any difference.. Do we need them?? I have a 6yr old mare that I backed myself, used flash as she threw her head up and down and then bronked, then found it didn't help so I loosened them and now removed. I feel we use some of these items because everyone else does? I m sure they are useful in some circumstances but all the horses at our yard have flashes, I don't know the science about the bridle and really hard to find out, any views?

I rode with no noseband this week - someone had nicked it. Western bridles dont have nose bands so it didnt trouble me.

But I think there is some point in the Brits using them? I had it explained in my lesson and then totaly forgot we didnt have one. Which was interesting as I was using rein to ride a nice slight bend on the circle and then counter bend too - to help straighten the very crooked horse. And she didnt fuss on the bit or behave any differently without one.

I dislike flash nosebands and aprtucicualrly when they are used because they come with the bridle! We once had ahorse come in for schooling because it was resistant so first thing we did was to remove the flash strap, minor imrovement, next was to remove the running martingale, major improvement. The very experienced owner said she was so used to having one on all her horses it did not occurrto her!

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
Albi was backed with no noseband but just wears a plain, flat cavesson now because it suits his pretty face!

I dislike flash nosebands as I don't feel they distribute pressure evenly, and if needed prefer a grackle or even a drop. However its harder now to buy a bridle with a plain canvasson noseband than it used to be, many bridles come with flashes, hence many more are used. I would guess there are millions of horses out there being ridden in a flash needlessly cause it came with the bridle.x

Cavesson and nothing else for us.
Try and find a non flash bridle!
To me if the horse opens its mouth it's telling you something, it would be the same as telling a friend to be quiet, stop moaning and using parcel tape to be sure.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
A noseband on a driving bridle is necessary as it stabilises the blinkers ad stops them getting pulled away from the side of the face.

A cavesson on a riding bridle does very little, it's handy for attaching a standing martingale to, but that's about it.

Flashes are a nasty fashion. However Esther .D and I spent a day trying to locate the root of the discomfort of one of our driving ponies. We swapped every bit of harness part by part, and after many bit changes he was instantly settled with the addition of a flash strap to his noseband. Normally I;d use a drop, but you can't have a drop on a driving bridle.

I prefer to have a simple cavesson on a loose hole, it not a drop, Flashes are my last resort I am afraid

Again another with a caversson and that is only because it suits the boys. Not a fan of a flash have never used them and when people have asked my advice on them I tell them to try difference bits, get their teeth checked then finally keep their hands still.

Caveson for flatwork on very loose, simply because it breaks his face up and looks better than without, for how loose it is I may as well not use it though. do use grackle for jumping as he crosses his jaw in an attempt to dictate speed and direction! Teeth fine. Just keen pony! Not a big fan of flashes and prefer a drop personally

A flash keeps the mouth shut on a horse who resists the bit by opening it. As others have said, normally indicative of another problem and the flash only treats the symptom. Its also a nasty fashion.

I dont use anything for western on my girl, a combo bridle (halter and headstall in one and the nose fits like a halter) for hacking and on the rare occasion I've gone to dressage I have a loosely fitted caverson.

newrider.com